another rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenfarmer

Reaction score
Just here to learn, learn, and learn some more. Mostly going to brew soda, and some low alcohol beers, and then some wine and then some mead, and then....well let's see how the soda goes first...:mug:

Yes, I do raise chickens, but I am out in the country (well at least now I am, LOL) and Yes they love mosquitoes and fly's and moths and earwigs...LOL.

I may have to try that cider....I am assuming the recipe is here somewhere....TY to all for the welcome.

For a simple, basic sparkling semi-dry cider conditioned in the bottle cider, you could try this method and recipe, copied and pasted from a previous thread . . . .

1. add 5 gallons of pastuerized apple cider or juice to a sanitzed carboy

2. add 3 teaspoons pectic enzyme to the cider

3. add one packet of dry ale yeast such as Nottingham

4. put on a stopper and airlock, or loosely cover with sanitized aluminum foil

5. let ferment for approximately 1- 2 weeks or until the cider is at the balance of sweetness /dryness you desire; if you use a hydrometer, a reading of 1.010 will be semi-dry (with a hint of sweetness)

6. prepare a priming solution of 2/3 cups white sugar boiled in 2 cups of water; cool to room temperature

7. add priming solution and cider to bottling bucket

8. bottle and cap, using bottles made for carbonated beverages such as beer or champagne bottles

9. allow bottles to conditioned and carbonate in an area at least 70 F

10. occasionally test bottles for carbonation process by opening one and tasting

11. when desired carbonation level is reached (but before bottles begin exploding), pasteurize the cider to kill the yeast and stop fermentation; prepare a hot water bath of 190 F water, carefully set the bottles in the bath for ten minutes and remove; repeat until all the bottles are pasteurized

Any recipe uses shorthand - if something is unclear here, or if you have any questions, please feel free to ask - on this thread or via pm. Good luck!

Back