Another partigyle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobanon

Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying out the partigyle methodology, considering I got into home brewing as a cost effective way to drink lots of beer, and two batches in one sounds right up my alley. Ill start by saying I'm not a "math guy" and I use iphone apps like Beersmith and Sparge Pal for all my calculations. My question is this: if I were to do two 5 gal batches by taking my mash and sparge volumes from Sparge Pal (it calculates both independently based on bill weight, boil volume, etc) and simply combine them (mashing 8 gal with say 10 lbs of grain), using those first runnings for batch 1 and sparge with 5.5/6 gal for my second runnings, would I be doing things fairly appropriately? Keep in mind I don't care about hitting OG precisely as long as ill get enough sugars to ferment out to make some kind of beer

10# of grain for 2 batches sounds extremely light. I'd recommend you read up a bit on partigyling, there is plenty of literature out there. I partygyled once with 18# of 2-Row, 1# of 40L and 1/2# of carapils and came out with an excellent 3gal batch of barleywine and 5 gallons of bitter. It was kind of fun!

I did a partigyle this weekend.

The first runnings were for a Russian Imperial Stout with a #20 grain bill to it.

The second I added about three pounds of specialty grains to it.

I went with an overnight mash and a batch sparge. Early on I learned that getting a second runnings from a session means not being as efficient as you can. I blew WAY past my OG and there wasn't much left for the second so I had to add some extract to pump up the gravity from around 1.020 to 1.040.

If I had to do it again I would have likely taken out some of the base malt from the first batch due to efficiency of my process and to have room for some fresh base malt in the second.

Honestly, it was a really amazing thing to experience and learn about. I documented the heck out of it so that I could be sure to re-tool for next time. However it is, in no way, a relaxing brewday. Having two batches going at the same time can be harrowing and stressful. I very likely won't do it very often but it is an efficient way to make beer and will make me appreciate doing a normal batch.

Skarekrough brought back something I had forgotten at my parti. I too had to add about 1# of Light DME to get the gravity on my 2nd run to my "more acceptable level" of 55 (along with another 1/2# of 40L for color and flavor). I figure if I'm going to have to get up and whiz once in the middle of the night, 6% beer makes it worth it!.

Partigyling does take all day so prepare the Papazian way - Have a homebrew and relax!

Just finished up the brew. Took about 6 hours in all (compared to 4 hours for a normal 5 gal batch for me) and I can say it went well, considering I had one burner and 5 different pots for all the water. I bought a refractometer beforehand so I wouldn't be second guessing myself the whole time and as it turns out, they're a fantastic tool to have around - who knew, right? I mashed a 20 lb grain bill at 154, drew the runnings and sparged into the two boil kettles until I got the pre-boil gravity right on the first one (a stout) and got my OG at 1.065, but I steeped 1 lb each c60 and pale chocolate malt had to add 1.5 lbs DME in the boil for my porter that ended at 1.045, which I'm extremely happy with. Looks like partigyling will be a frequently revisited technique for me, especially when I get myself a second burner! I just need to do some more research on getting the second runnings to an acceptable pre boil gravity...

Back