another lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdawg

Reaction score
I have searched and read many threads on lagers. I haven't found a solid answer on cooling the wort....I am going to do a Marzen Lager. I have decided to pitch my starter at the cooler fermenting temps.

I have an immersion chiller and it is hot here in TN. I can probably get my wort down to 65 deg.

Can I then put the wort in the fridge till it gets down to 55 deg. and pitch my yeast that has been cooled to 50 deg.

Or what other ways would you cool the wort down to lager temps before pitching the yeasts?

I do have a chest freezer with a temp controler. Or with this set up am I better to pitch at a warmer temp and bring down the temps afterward? :mug:

I make my starter the day before and set in Lagering fridge. I can only cool my wort to 68* unless use a ton of ice water in chiller. So pitching at 68* set in 52* lager fridge. 12 hrs later 52* and bubbling

Thanks. Let me run this by ya'll. I made a 2ltr starter today. I will put it in the fridge tomorrow. On brew day...I will then cool my wort as cool as I can with the chiller and put it in the fridge with my decanted yeast. When the wort reaches 55 deg I will pitch the slurry. Sound ok?

Sounds good to me. I do the same thing, cool it down as much as I can, then cover the opening of my carboy with sanitized foil. When it gets down to 50 or whatever temp I want to pitch at I decant my starter and toss it in and be sure to aerate. Then put my airlock on and into my fermentation chamber.

Back