another imperial stout fermentation gone wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I started using a blow off tube on every batch. Absolutely it's good, there is so much krausen that no oxygen would get in there. Get a airlock on it as soon as it calms down.
Great video.

It's been going like this for at least 14 hours (when I woke up) and no sign of slowing down... I hope I can save it; the whole house smells of delicious stout. I'm guessing I will seal it when it's done, shower the whole thing, and hope for the best.

I had an 3/8 inch blow off hose... I'm going bigger next time.

I didn't even see it in the video. My last brew (Roggenbier) a few week back did the same thing with a 3/8" blow off tube. I figured I lost about a 1/2 gal. to it. It was actually running out of my ferm. chamber and across my garage before I was able to clean it up. The beer is great http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

I had an 3/8 inch blow off hose... I'm going bigger next time.

I didn't even see it in the video. My last brew (Roggenbier) a few week back did the same thing with a 3/8" blow off tube. I figured I lost about a 1/2 gal. to it. It was actually running out of my ferm. chamber and across my garage before I was able to clean it up. The beer is great.

No worries... It wasn't in the video. I woke up this morning checking my fermentations (as usual). The hose was several feet from the fermenter, with beer on the walls, ceiling, and floor. I moved it to the shower; what the video shows is about 1/4 of what happened.

If I can save it, I'll call it the headache double stout... and not because of the hangovers.

I have an imperial stout in the fermenter that I brewed yesterday. I didn't have a chance to check on it before work today. Now you've got me all nervous.

I have yet to get a mess from brewing an imperial stout. I do always use a blowoff setup but I believe the key is pitching the yeast on the lower side of your yeast limit

This is why I ferment 5.5 gallons batches in a 6.5 gallons carboy (which really could probably hold 7 gallons to the neck). For larger volume and larger OG brews I will use a blow off if necessary, but even with 6 gallons of 1.104 barleywine I didn't need it. I also agree with MrClean, start at the lower limit of the temperature limit and raise it slowly once fermentation starts.

Before I bought the big carboy I had a 1.070 Robust Porter dump probably half a gallon into my fermentation fridge. The blow off plugged just like yours, shot the top off of it, the entire fridge was covered by porter inside. Turned out to be one of my best beers! This was last November, still have two bottles and it won second place porter in a local competition back in October.

I have a Bourbon Barrel Stout going right now. I did 4 carboys (2 5-gallons, 2 6.5-gallons). It's in my fermentation freezer. I used blowoff tubes for all of them. I fermented at ~59 using Americal Ale yeast to try to keep everything under control.

It didn't make a damn bit of difference. They still blew up all over the place. I lost about 1 gallon total and my freezer bottom is a sticky mess.

RISs are dangerous!

Back