Another IIPA recipe opinion ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwind

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I know there have been a bunch of these recipes floating around recently but I wanted to put my recipe out there for everyone to judge, critique, oogle, and give thoughts or suggestions. Its not a Pliney clone or anything. Just a super hoppy beer than i can be proud off. Hopefully:)

This is for 6 gallons. Well five really, because I plan on losing around a gallon to hops and trub. I've seen ya'lls pics and it looks like the bottom of the keggle will be funky.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
17.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.00 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
1.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.00 %

0.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.3 IBU
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 28.1 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.085 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.088 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.30 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 9.44 %
Bitterness: 119.5 IBU Calories: 405 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM Color: Color

I'll mash at 150 for 75 minutes and do a 90 min boil. Pitch two packs of US-05 and let her rip around 64-65 and bump up the temp as fermentation slows.

Thanks,

Mike:mug:

I have a question. Could you then do a small beer on this grain through sparging (5 gallons)? What type of abv could you get?

I'm sure you could. Beers have been brewed that way for a long time. I think it's called Partygyle(sp?). I could add some DME to the second boil and make a lighter beer. I'll check that out. Thanks for the idea. I have two burners might as well use them both right?

A couple things: I would say a 1lb pound of Victory is too much in you were using American 2-row. With MO, it is way too much. IMO, drop it completely.

I'm confused by this "Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG". Have you already brewed this beer or not? If not, I would keep the mash schedule as is (150F), but expect it finish at 1.016 or quite possibly more like 1.014. US-05 is a beast.

I would up the crystal to a pound or a pound and a half.

With that much bitterness, .5 lb will be lost.

The victory will stay, I love that malt. It's the main grain in my IPA recipe and I love that beer. I might drop it to .75 lb because of the MO. But the toasty bready background in an IPA is awesome.
I had originally planned for .5 lb of crystal 40 And the 80 but changed it to wheat for no other reason than I was experimenting. I'll change it back.

How's the hop schedule look. I've never used chinook before but I picked up an ounce last time I was at the brew store.

The recipe says est FG 1.022 because that's what beersmith estimated it to be. I'm going to mash at 150 to get the beer to finish as low as it can. 1.016 was my guess to determine Abv.

uh oh...don't mess with Schwind and his victory malt!!!...LOL...someday i'll go back to AG brewing when i can brew outside and i'll make this recipe...bringing 7 gallons to a boil on my stove is hurtin and not sure how almost 12 oz of hops would work in a weak 4 gal boils i roll with brewing extract...looks like a tasty recipe.

Trotta, Go buy some victory and Extra Light DME and make a beer. The stuff is delicious. I put it in everything.

oh and this beer will be awesome. You should put in for a 22oz before Beth and I drink it all.

AHAHAAAAAAAAA!!! Put me down for a 22...I got a couple brews to set for xmas presents but i'll have a 22 of something for trade in the next couple months...It'll have to be something HOPPY obviously to satisfy the hop monster...LOL

Thought we had agreed at the cabin... You put crazy adjuncts into beers and I'll do my best to keep adding more hops to mine.

I'm done with adjuncts for quite some time. I'm moving on to simple recipes for IPAs, Stouts and Brown Ales. Speaking of the cabin, there will be some serious head dunking in the creek at 3am if you bring that IIPA and it's 9% abv action. Maybe next time we can get a little more notice and each bring a keg of our latest. I do plan on brewing your HHIPA reipe in extract once i get these xmas brews out of the way. btw...the Thunderstruck Pumpkin turned out pretty good...course i only got about 4.5 gallons due to all the trub.

Brewed this today. It went really well. I overshot my efficiency so instead of OG 1.088 it was 1.093. No biggie. If it finishes where I want it to it will come in at 10%. I was shooting for 9. Oh well. Looks like I'll be getting druck.

Back