Another Hop Yard build Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The raised bed frame system is in. Now, to have the infill soil delivered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2353833762_6ea74145f8.jpg

My new family additions. No less than 10 new rhisomes ranging from Low Alpha European to High Alpha American varieties. My 3 year plan is to use homegrown hops exclusively. Naysayers be damned regarding the use of HGH for bittering. I say bring it on, I aint' skeered of the challenge.

2353000449_e58a79d458.jpg

Proof positive that I am no carpenter. But I think the result is turning out as planned. Ambitious? Perhaps. Insane? Maybe a little. Useless? Gosh! I hope not.

2353833478_ebc27a3df3.jpg

A close up of my "box-in" design. An attempt to keep these hops restricted within their own corral, per se. Of course, once the root system gets deeper than a foot they'll hav a free range. Better than nothing I suppose. The white plastic is an attempt to preserve the metal behind for a longer period than otherwise left bare. An attempt to protect the fence behind from damage.

Now all I need is dirt to fill this garantuan thing in. No less than 8 cubic yards is needed, after consideration of settling. I figure I'll get 10 to be safe.

I'll be watering this with 150 feet of soaker hose set just below the soil surface. The hose will be controlled using a Nelson programmeble controller ($35 WalMart). I'll start the watering schedule at 2 times a day (6 am and 5 pm) and water for 15 minutes each time and adjust it as needed dependent on soil moisture levels

I'll also be seeding the soil using a vegetable blend Osmocote slow release beaded fertilizer. In consideration of the baby, we chose to not burn the fireplace this year so, I have no stockpile of wood ash to use as an organic source of nutrient. To supply necessary Boron to the soil I will be adding Borax. I'll test the soil for pH once it's received and plan amendments for the fall to adjust, but I doubt it will be necessary

YOUR INSANE!!!!In a good way. That is ungodly awsome. Good Damn Job. And to think I am just planing mine next to a swing with a trellis up the sides.

Nice. It's making me get off my ass and order rhizones. I'm ordering from Sorrento BC and they won't be ready to april (still cold out).

Our area in the Okanagan is simular to Yakima except we get fairly cold in the winter. We are borderline desert here.

See now look what you did....All you people posting your growing pictures and set ups. I just ordered 2 willamette, 2 centennial, and a cascade...Damn you all to hell...your all a horrible influence on my fragile psychi, and I love it lol

Looks great, but I'm not sure it'll see you to the end of the 3 year plan. Rail road ties or even cheap concrete blocks might be a bit sturdier. Great idea on the drip system, as well as the fertilizers. Can't wait to see some sprouts!

Arneba28 said:
See now look what you did....All you people posting your growing pictures and set ups. I just ordered 2 willamette, 2 centennial, and a cascade...Damn you all to hell...your all a horrible influence on my fragile psychi, and I love it lol

I know what you mean. I hate gardening. F#ckers!

Brother, beautiful set up,

Do you want to drink ozmocote?....trace minerals are the key. Azomite, glacial rock dust, bat ****...

ScubaSteve said:
Looks great, but I'm not sure it'll see you to the end of the 3 year plan. Rail road ties or even cheap concrete blocks might be a bit sturdier. Great idea on the drip system, as well as the fertilizers. Can't wait to see some sprouts!

Sturdier? I am not sure I follow brother. You do realize that this will be filled to within a couple incehs to the top with soil, right?

At any rate all the materials were free. Recycled from a collapsed storage building so, if it does disintegrate within the next coupe years I am out only the time it took to assemble.

Indigenous -

I hera ya' brother but I aint gat no bats. Typically I would have a fireplace full of wood ash but I didn't burn any fires this year because of our toddler. In the same respect, I wouldn't want to drink Miracle Grow or cow manure tea either but they've never failed the Tomatoes. And I wouldn't want to drink urine but, even it is a great source of nitrogen. Meh, it'll be fine.:D

This time next year I'll have a surplus of compost and will satisfy my organic instincts with that.

Ice9 said:
Nice set-up.

What are the dimensions of your boxes?

4 foot square by 13 Inches deep.

I prepared the native soils by tilling to a depth of 12 Inches (mechanical tiller and pulling the tilled soil out with each pass). I'll fill over the native using a commercial blend (equal parts) of Sand, Clay, Loam, Compost, and Manure.

No pics this time. I figure I'll wait until it's done, done, done to do that.

I had soil delivered today. A blend of Black Dirt, Sand, Compost, and Cow Manure. 25% of each, that is equal parts of all 4. 10 Cubic yards were delivered to day at about 1 or 1:30pm. Surprisingly enough (after seeing the efforts I made with the box frames) SWMBO (my beautiful wife ) suggested I go with this soil as opposed to other less expensive (sandy loam) options. Then again, our 10 Year anniversary is coming next month so I think she's banking this.

10 Cubic Yards! Lemme break ths down for comparison.

By volume:
10 Cubic Yards = 270 Cubic Feet = 466,560 Cubic Inches

By weight:
10 Cubic Yards = 2.7 Short Tons (US) = 5,400 Pounds = 86,400 Ounces

Between the hours of 4:00 and Sunset I moved approximately 7 Cubic Yards. The official sunset was at 7:45 so, that gave me what? 3 hours and 45 minutess to move 7 CUBIC YARDS or 189 CUBIC FEET!

Here's the kicker, I moved it all with a wheel barrow. Maximum capacity of 6 cubic feet. I made 31 or 32 trips. That means I (with some help from the wife while baby was asleep) made a trip every 10 minutes.

I think it goes without saying (but i'll say it anyway) that I IS HURTIN'.

And I still have 3 Cubic Yards (therabouts) to move.

I have planted all the rhisomes, as well as transplanted the 3 that were in containers. It was too dark to shoot any photo's of the progress by time I was done.

I still have the irrigation system to install as well as the drop lines. I plan to have both completed tommorow after work so, I'll update the photo's then.

That is, if I am not too stiff tommorrow to breathe.

wow... that doesn't sound like fun. Ya know I am only an hour or so away I could have been pursuaded to help for a homebrew :mug: . I am going to be planting mine this weekend I think. Mine should not be nearly as bad as that... lol

GilaMinumBeer said:
No pics this time. I figure I'll wait until it's done, done, done to do that.

I had soil delivered today. A blend of Black Dirt, Sand, Compost, and Cow Manure. 25% of each, that is equal parts of all 4. 10 Cubic yards were delivered to day at about 1 or 1:30pm. Surprisingly enough (after seeing the efforts I made with the box frames) SWMBO (my beautiful wife ) suggested I go with this soil as opposed to other less expensive (sandy loam) options. Then again, our 10 Year anniversary is coming next month so I think she's banking this.

10 Cubic Yards! Lemme break ths down for comparison.

By volume:
10 Cubic Yards = 270 Cubic Feet = 466,560 Cubic Inches

By weight:
10 Cubic Yards = 2.7 Short Tons (US) = 5,400 Pounds = 86,400 Ounces

Between the hours of 4:00 and Sunset I moved approximately 7 Cubic Yards. The official sunset was at 7:45 so, that gave me what? 3 hours and 45 minutess to move 7 CUBIC YARDS or 189 CUBIC FEET!

Here's the kicker, I moved it all with a wheel barrow. Maximum capacity of 6 cubic feet. I made 31 or 32 trips. That means I (with some help from the wife while baby was asleep) made a trip every 10 minutes.

I think it goes without saying (but i'll say it anyway) that I IS HURTIN'.

And I still have 3 Cubic Yards (therabouts) to move.

I have planted all the rhisomes, as well as transplanted the 3 that were in containers. It was too dark to shoot any photo's of the progress by time I was done.

I still have the irrigation system to install as well as the drop lines. I plan to have both completed tommorow after work so, I'll update the photo's then.

That is, if I am not too stiff tommorrow to breathe.

I hear you mate.... I moved 11 cubic metres with a shovel and wheelbarrow in 1 day... then rolled it out and layed 140 square metres of turf (sod) the following day. That was 6 years ago.. and I still feel the pain

Back