Another first time brewer thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cap1

Reaction score
Hey everyone I finally made my first batch of wort and just put it away to ferment. It went fairly smoothly other than a very slight boil over. I caught it just in time so there wasn't a big mess. I used this no rinse sanitizer and my only worry is that some got into my batch probably less than 1/2 a bottle cap from a soda bottle. Is that going to affect the taste of my beer? how about the boil over, I don't know how that affects the beer either, there wasn't any scorching luckily. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone I finally made my first batch of wort and just put it away to ferment. It went fairly smoothly other than a very slight boil over. I caught it just in time so there wasn't a big mess. I used this no rinse sanitizer and my only worry is that some got into my batch probably less than 1/2 a bottle cap from a soda bottle. Is that going to affect the taste of my beer? how about the boil over, I don't know how that affects the beer either, there wasn't any scorching luckily. Any help is greatly appreciated!

What was the sanitizer? StarSan? Regardless you will be fine. 1/2 a cap of any sanitizer is common. Boil over just means you lose a bit of beer, but the taste if uneffected.

The sanitizer is LD Carlson Easy Clean. I also had a little too much cold water when mixing the wort with extra water to make it 5 gallons it was slightly over the line in my fermenter. Hopefully that doesn't affect the taste too much as well.

cap1 - Welcome to homebrewing and this forum. :)
Never used that sanitizer, but don't worry about it, if it does not start fermentation in three days let us know.

I/we preach sanitization here, and temp control, and time, etc; at least you got one part down already. :)

Pay attention to the temperature, keep it in the range of the yeast. Use wet towels, buckets with some ice water in it, heating blanket if your up north. What ever it takes to keep the yeast happy.

Give it time to ferment, give it time to condition, give it time to carbonate in bottles or kegs. Then you tell us if a little sanitizer made a difference.

Back