Another did I ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geirfuglinn

Reaction score
So I have been rather dumb. Brewed this recipe http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-big-basin-amber-ale/
Joe Palmers extract with speciality grain american amber. All went well, the steeping, boiling, everything... But when I measured the OG it was only 1.046/7 instead of 1.055. I have been trying to think the rest of the day what I could have done to have a higher OG, like washing the steeped grains to get the rest out of them. Then finally I figured it out when trying to fall asleep... I diluted it to 5 UK gallons instead of US gallons! Which means I added a whole gallon too much water ( my equipment has UK meassures on it and we probably had too much tea, yes really tea by then...)
So did I ruin my beer? Will it now be a flavourless thing?
Fermentation is going real well. I made a starter and am thinking I should have a blow off hose as the foam has gone through the airlock.

So I have been rather dumb. Brewed this recipe http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-big-basin-amber-ale/
Joe Palmers extract with speciality grain american amber. All went well, the steeping, boiling, everything... But when I measured the OG it was only 1.046/7 instead of 1.055. I have been trying to think the rest of the day what I could have done to have a higher OG, like washing the steeped grains to get the rest out of them. Then finally I figured it out when trying to fall asleep... I diluted it to 5 UK gallons instead of US gallons! Which means I added a whole gallon too much water ( my equipment has UK meassures on it and we probably had too much tea, yes really tea by then...)
So did I ruin my beer? Will it now be a flavourless thing?
Fermentation is going real well. I made a starter and am thinking I should have a blow off hose as the foam has gone through the airlock.

You'll have beer!!! I did something similar, I forgot to close the spigot when transfering to primary, lost about 1.5 litres, then I topped up the fermenter by 1.5 litres and continued to top up to 23 litres (previous brew volume) when the volume should have been 21litres...total top up of 3.5 litres...then I left the beer for way toooooooo long before bottling. I had one last night and you know what it was not too bad, a little thin but was very drinkable....that was after only 2 weeks in bottles, should be better next week
You'll be fine, think of it as a lesson in "paying attention to details" I did :)

I purposely make beer that is not terribly strong because I'm not drinking beer to get drunk but because I like the taste and the little buzz that relaxes me without much impairment for operating machinery. That's kind of what you have there.

thanks both of you :) I just hope it will have enough flavour.... But yes we live and learn!

I purposely make beer that is not terribly strong because I'm not drinking beer to get drunk but because I like the taste and the little buzz that relaxes me without much impairment for operating machinery. That's kind of what you have there.

So you're the one that the warning labels are for. You come home, pop a couple beers, and fire up the old C18 to grade out the back 40!!!:mug:

Back