*ANOTHER* broken floating thermometer thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I broke my floating therm yesterday. I havent brewed with it but once, and have had it sitting on the ferment bucket in my minifridge. Opened door to open up bucket and grab a sample, and it fell and shattered on my floor.

Now I can buy a metal one :)

I broke my floating therm yesterday. I havent brewed with it but once, and have had it sitting on the ferment bucket in my minifridge. Opened door to open up bucket and grab a sample, and it fell and shattered on my floor.

Now I can buy a metal one :)

Go buy a lotto ticket. You were lucky enough to break it without getting anything into your beer!

At first I scoffed -- loto here is only at 20million. Then I remembered, its only at 20 million. I'll buy a ticket :)

Wanna choose my #s? I need five + mega ball, between 1 and 50 I believe

Broke mine on Saturday. The funny thing was I didn't care a bit. It was a completely inaccurate piece of crap. I guess I'm super lucky too cause it broke falling off the fridge into the garbage can.

wait wait wait is there mercury in brewing thermometers? if there is i would throw out everything! brew pot, fermenter, spoon, and anything that touched the tainted wort. mercury is nothing to play with. its just not worth it.

anyways im pretty sure its alcohol in there, not mercury at least not anymore...

you seemed to be justifying to yourself every reason plausible for NOT dumping the wort except one.....If you drank the whole batch yourself then no big deal, cause if you ingested some glass it was your own fault. If you shared the brew with friends then that's pretty low. What friend would serve a beer to another friend with even the smallest possibility of introducing glass shards into their digestive tract? With friends like you, who needs enemies... I HOPE YOU DUMPED IT!!!!

Have you ever drank beer out of a glass bottle? Then you've drank glass shards.

There's no real risk here. Just lots of paranoia.

Back