Another BM23 Cycling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mng8r

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up a used BM23 kegerator (Superior branded). I have it set so that the temp of a quart of water is at 40. I have a corny keg and some other bottled beer in it, so it's pretty full, but not too full. What I've noticed is that when the compressor comes on, it's on for quite a long time. I've been measuring this weekend and it seems pretty consistent that the compressor runs for close to 60 minutes and then is off for 80-90 minutes. Being on for 60 minutes seems to me to be way too long.

I know that measuring air temps isn't that important and that keeping the liquid temp constant is, but what I've also noticed is that the internal air temp ranges from 35 to 46 during the cycles and it's pretty consistent. The compressor comes on when the inside air temp reaches ~46 and shuts off when it reaches ~35.

I wonder if the long compressor on time is due to the wide temperature swing and the high of 46 or probably more due to low refrigerant?

I've cleaned the coils and the compressor doesn't feel very hot after its been running for an extended period. It's warm, but not so much that you can't keep your finger on it. To make matters worse, somebody replaced the original compressor fan and motor with an axial fan that is quite loud, so when it kicks in, you know it. I'm sure they did this due to the cost of the replacement part (+$100).

I'm thinking I should have a refrigeration repair person look at it, but wanted to see what others had for cycle times and also get the thoughts of any refrigeration experts regarding the temp swings. Although, it would seem that it should be able to cool down from 46 faster than an hour.

Thanks,
Ron

Latest posts

Back