Another Blue Moon question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoobyBrewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've looked at this thread: "https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/blue-moon-clone.65328/"

I just want to clarify, what is the ratio of coriander to orange for blue moon?
I'm a tad confused and just want to clarify before I go a buy everything.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

~Cam from New Zealand.

This is my recipe I'm going to be doing: (And my first all grain!)

Blue Moon Final.

===========================
Makes 22.5 Liters // 5.9 Gallons:

Grain:
6.0475 lbs. NZ Pale Malt(2-row).
4.8675 lbs. NZ White Wheat Malt.
1.18 lbs. NZ Flaked Oats.

Hops:
0.7375 oz. Hallertauer Mittle 19.3 IBU (Put in at 75 Min into the 90 min boil)

Spices:
1.18 Oz. Crushed Corriander Seed (boil @ 10 remaining)
0.6 Oz. Crushed Dried Valencia Orange Peel 5 (boil @ 5 remaining)

Yeast:
Prefered * 1056 Chico Or 1187 Ringwood * Prefered.

Other Yeasts if can't get the above:
Wyeast 1187 or White Labs WLP005
Safale S-05 or Nottingham

Boil:
90 mins at 150-151F / 65.5-66.1C

Gravity:
EST. 1.050-1.055 OG
EST 1.014 - 1.015 FG

IBUs:
IBU target 16-17.5.

4 weeks primary at 68F/20C.
Bottle condition for a month.
===========================

What I used to use, many years ago, was a 3 to 1 ratio. Three times the amount of dried orange peel to dried coriander. That was in a 15 bbl batch using ingredients no longer available.

You will have to brew it yourself and adjust the amounts according to what ingredients you have available and your equipment.

Sorry there is no simple answer.

What I used to use, many years ago, was a 3 to 1 ratio. Three times the amount of dried orange peel to dried coriander. That was in a 15 bbl batch using ingredients no longer available.

You will have to brew it yourself and adjust the amounts according to what ingredients you have available and your equipment.

Sorry there is no simple answer.

Don't apologise, thats half the fun!

I like the flavour of blue moon, If I'm getting something in that area I'm a happy man.

Thanks heaps mate, I'll be sure to post letting you know how I get on.

@Wayne1

Awesome thank you.

They're used to prevent the mash from getting stuck in all your tubing aren't they?
I imagine that the mash could turn into a porridge of some kind if you're not too careful.

What I used to use, many years ago, was a 3 to 1 ratio. Three times the amount of dried orange peel to dried coriander.
I have no clue about what Blue Moon tastes like today, but what I remember from the old days it was very orange forward, so orange : coriander at 3:1 could work well, NOT the other way around.

Also make sure the coriander seeds are elliptical, not round. The round ones tend to taste like celery when boiled. Indian sourced ones are elliptical with a nice bright citrusy flavor/aroma.

In my Witbiers I now only use 7 grams pulverized bitter orange peel + 7 grams pulverized coriander seeds added at flameout, or in the whirlpool at 170F for 15 mins with some late hops. They get ample steeping time, and it's fast since they're a coarse powder.
You can always add more orange peel or coriander at the end of fermentation, and let them extract while the beer is conditioning, if you feel it's lacking.

I've also used 1-1.5 oz of fresh orange or tangerine zest (only the colored part), at FO or in the whirlpool, and really liked that too.

If you want it more Witbier like, steering away from the Blue Moon, use a Witbier yeast like WLP400 or WY3944.

Witbiers use about 40-60% flaked wheat, not wheat malt, to get more of that raw wheat flavor.

So many options...

If you read the thread linked in the OP, @Wayne1 says it the other way around (3:1 coriander to orange peel). This is the exact quote:

"Blue Moon has always used pre-ground corriander and Valencia orange peel. Keith did not want the bitterness of Curacao oranges. He preferred the sweetness of the ground Valencia.

Try 1.25 tsp of ground corriander added to the kettle 10 minutes before the end of boil. This is for a 5-6 gallon batch.

Add 0.33tsp of ground Valencia orange peel 5 minutes before the end of boil."

I myself have followed this advice and it turned out great. Not sure if he misspoke here or in the older thread.

Back