Annapolis in the house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Bomb

Reaction score
Whats up friends? Another MD fella here chompin on crabs and washing it down with my own brew- life is good. I started this past January with an extract brew that ended prematurly when my carboy split from heat. It was a Coopers Australian Bitter. Ive since moved on to all grain brewing which has gone tremendously well, and now looking for a good Coopers or VB all grain clone. Any ideas where to look? Ive also been borrowing basic equpiment, and looking to build or buy (I'd rather not buy) equpiment for 10gal brews. So any plans or websites to check out would be a help.

Drink and contribute - cheers!

What do you mean about the carboy splitting from heat?

I'm an Annapolis native myself, but have been exiled to Millersville!

Cheers! :mug:

Moon

but millersville has Helles, and Helles has those big ass crab cakes!

Oh, I thought you meant the beer for a second then I realized you meant the restaurant. I'll have to try the crab cakes there.

We could do a little HBT get together there one night!

I live in Shipley's Choice. Heck I can walk home if I over do it! :drunk:

Moonpile said:
We could do a little HBT get together there one night!

I live in Shipley's Choice. Heck I can walk home if I over do it! :drunk:

I walk to and from Texas Steaks a lot because of over doing it :D

For whatever reason, I really don't like drinking there, just picking up crabcakes, damn I want one for lunch now....I may just swing by there and do that now

Funny to hear about hellas, it's a favorite of my as well. i used annapolis as my location considering rarley do people know ther whereabouts of millersville . I live in point field and know severna park and shipleys choice well.

When i said the Carboy split it did just that. Being the first time I brewed when I poured the boiling wort into the carboy while trying to cool the outside I was reminded of the physical properties of glass and that its not allright with extreme differences in tempature thus it cracked while in my sink. A big bummer. However it convinced me to grab the bull by the horns, read a bit more, and move onto all grain brewing when i made my second attempt.

The all grain has gone well. I'm actually on here to find a new recipe for brewing today. This will be my 4th. Ive made an American Ale, Enligh Bitter, and something called the Panama Red. Any suggestions for my next brew?

Have you guys heard of the Irish pub going in at the new shopping center across from Hollywood videos on rt2 ? from what i understand it will be owned by the guy who owns gallaway bay on maryland ave... my favorite watering hole.

Beer Bomb said:
Funny to hear about hellas, it's a favorite of my as well. i used annapolis as my location considering rarley do people know ther whereabouts of millersville . I live in point field and know severna park and shipleys choice well.

When i said the Carboy split it did just that. Being the first time I brewed when I poured the boiling wort into the carboy while trying to cool the outside I was reminded of the physical properties of glass and that its not allright with extreme differences in tempature thus it cracked while in my sink. A big bummer. However it convinced me to grab the bull by the horns, read a bit more, and move onto all grain brewing when i made my second attempt.

The all grain has gone well. I'm actually on here to find a new recipe for brewing today. This will be my 4th. Ive made an American Ale, Enligh Bitter, and something called the Panama Red. Any suggestions for my next brew?

Have you guys heard of the Irish pub going in at the new shopping center across from Hollywood videos on rt2 ? from what i understand it will be owned by the guy who owns gallaway bay on maryland ave... my favorite watering hole.

you know it's funny. Whenever I am around the country, and people ask me where I am from, I always say Annapolis. Then I get the response, oh in what part, I lived there for XX years, and then the know about Severna Park.

However, if I say Severna Park from the get go, people give me this look: :confused:

One of my friends is going to be managing there when that opens...should be cool.

Cracked carboy: That doesn't sound fun at all. I assume you were uninjured?

Irish Pub: I hadn't heard about that, but it's a good tip. Severna Park really lacks a good beer snob pub, so that should sort of fill the gap. In my fantasy world I have a vision of buying "The Pub" on Veterans and putting in cask conditioned ales!

Pointfield: My Aunt and Uncle - in law live there. Nice neighborhood.

Annapolis and SP when "abroad": It always surprised me when I lived in New Mexico how few people knew about Annapolis. It one of the 50 state capitals for crying out loud!!!

Sounds like we have a Greater Severna Park Metro Area nucleus of HBT types going on here.

yeah, it does seem like there is a few of us around. I'm always surprised at how busy AHB is when I go in there.

AHB does do a nice businesss. Ive only been in there a few times without someone else walking in the door or already in there stocking up.

I too refer to my hometown as Annapolis to only find out 5 minutes into a conversation the person has heard of Severna Park. Go figure that one out? Half the time when I say im from Annapolis people think I say Indianapolis and ask me about Indiana, which I have the slightest clue about.

HBT has at least one more Severna Park area member on it that I know of - a solid nucleus as you said. I would have never guessed that out of all the people accessing the internet at least 4 are sitting down the street from eachother staring at the same screen.

Carboy: Only my pride was hurt. I couldnt believe I had such an oversight, and that I had to watch what I had built up as my fond memories of drinking Coopers on the beaches of Sydney run down the drain. Have either of you have the chance to drink or brew Australian beers? I love victoria bitter.

The pub on veterans: is it still open? I thought i saw a for sale sign on the property a while back - it may still be there. Ive never gone in, whats there?

Irish Pub: when does it open? I wouldnt mind stopping in to check it out. Maybe an HBT gathering?

The Pub on Veterans seems like it's house (in a halfhearted way) some kind of real estate office. Otherwise it's had a lease sign on and off for a while. That's why I daydream about it! I've never been in there either. I'm assuming there is NOT an entire cask conditioned ale system with beer engines. Just guessing. In my fantasy there is though.

I actually work in Hunt Valley and brew at a friend's house in Baltimore, but if we can arrange an SP get-together that would be cool.

Speaking of B'more, Max's in Fell's Point is doing some special stuff for American Craft Brew Festival. They regularly have cask ale at any rate. FYI.

Back