An Opinion You Might Find Blasphemous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't drink American beer??
None from the big guys.

When I am on travel I will try local beers and ones I've never sampled before, but I will drink water before I drink a BMC product.

I would have to admit that about 95% of the beer I drink is homebrew. The rest foreign...except in Korea where I will resort to rum and cokes when I can't find a Franziskaner Hefe Weizen for $9.00. ;)

Koelsch has 4.8% alcohol on average - whatever you are talking about doesn't sound anything like a Koelsch.

Hmm let's see, was just in Koln two days ago and checked the bottles...didn't see a single one above 3%

Edit: that's a lie, i think one was 3,4%

I didn't get it either, from what i have read i assumed all were 4,8 or so, atleast according to every major beer outlet i've ever read, but the more people i talked to here kept ranting on about how it's a ***** beer. Sure enough i went there and you can order a strong kolsch, the 4% and then normal tap stuff which is apparently lighter. I asked a few times what the deal was and apparently it's just how things are. Some Kolsch are stronger and some are weaker, the one's i ran into were mostly weaker and frankly didn't taste of anything worth writing home about. I was completely disappointed.

My point was to more focus on the arrogance surrounding the style turns me off more than the actual beer. If the Bavarian's bragged about their Helles like that, I think I'd be giving it a hard rush too.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you ever get a chance to check out the Altstadt of Düsseldorf, I highly recommend it. It must have the highest concentration of bars I've ever seen and when you walk in, you instantly get served a beer, and they keep coming until you put a coaster on top of your mug. It's pretty incredible. They also lay claim to the longest single bar in the world apparently, although i didn't find it. It's a wild party though, that's for sure, and like I said before, Altbier is a full-bodied beer that I find to be plenty enjoyable.

The Germans produce some fantastic examples of the particular styles they have originated and/or mastered. That being said, their diversity leaves something to be desired. I like plenty of German beers, but there are plenty of styles I like that have no counterpart in German brewing.

Oh well OK then. I was afraid you were one of those who insists that Americans can't make good beer! I wasn't including BMC.
Then...we agree...;):mug:, unfortunately, those "Americans" who can't brew good beer are of German descent...

Buford: You said it. The German's lack of beer variety is a problem for beer lover's. With that said, what they make they do well!! Prost!! :mug:

Back