An interesting use for spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
Composting is an obvious use. I've seen a few whole grain bread recipes using spent grains as well. With the first of the year upon us now I begin to think about one of my favorite hunting seasons that occurs in the spring. This is one of the few hunting seasons where I leave the firearms at home and only arm myself with a paper sack or onion sack. I usually prefer an onion sack, but I have a paper sack stored away that I have used the last two years. I'm looking at a pile of spent grain on the edge of my woodline and I wonder if I should turn that sack inside out and plant it in the middle of that pile of spent grains.

You see, my hunting sack was used to collect morels. It is, no doubt, loaded with spores on the inside. It would make me very happy to see morels growing out of my piles of spent grains.

Has anyone tried to grow mushrooms using spent grain as a growth medium? There are several varieties of culinary mushrooms that I would love to grow.

Composting is an obvious use. I've seen a few whole grain bread recipes using spent grains as well. With the first of the year upon us now I begin to think about one of my favorite hunting seasons that occurs in the spring. This is one of the few hunting seasons where I leave the firearms at home and only arm myself with a paper sack or onion sack. I usually prefer an onion sack, but I have a paper sack stored away that I have used the last two years. I'm looking at a pile of spent grain on the edge of my woodline and I wonder if I should turn that sack inside out and plant it in the middle of that pile of spent grains.

You see, my hunting sack was used to collect morels. It is, no doubt, loaded with spores on the inside. It would make me very happy to see morels growing out of my piles of spent grains.

Has anyone tried to grow mushrooms using spent grain as a growth medium? There are several varieties of culinary mushrooms that I would love to grow.

I've never done it myself, but a while back, maybe a year or so ago, someone came on here asking people for spent grain so they could grow gourmet mushrooms, so I'd wager it's a viable option.

My dogs were eating the spent grains that I spread around my garden, I'm guessing it's not a problem.

Back