An attempt at a Black IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevKev

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to make sure I'm on the right track, read it over and give me your thoughts :) I've brewed a few batches and it's time to take off the training wheels and jump into recipe making.

I'm planning on doing a 5 gallon batch, 3 gallon boil. Add water to primary to get 5 gallon.

Steeping grains consist of:
-10 oz Carafa III
-8 oz CaraAroma
-4 oz Cara 8
Steeped at 160°F for 30 min after which 1/3 of the 6lbs DME is mixed in.

Hop additions (60 minute boil)
-1 oz Chinook (60 min)
-0.5 oz El Dorado (45 min)
-1 oz El Dorado (30 min)
-1 oz Chinook (30 min)
-1 oz Falconers Flight (0 min)
-0.5 oz El Dorado (0 min)
-1 oz Falconers Flight (dry hop)

1lb Cane Sugar and 2/3 DME at 15 min.

1 oz of Grapefruit peel soaked in vodka added a few days prior to dry hop.

Est. OG: 1.068
Target ABV: 7%
IBU: 129
SRM: 31

The yeast strain is something I'm wondering about since it'll be dark mild flocculation won't be an issue so maybe US-04, but I do have some Notty.

I think you'll want the special carafa (dehusked), right? Regular carafa III is not debittered. I don't think you need all those hops at 30-60 min. Personally I would adjust the chinook at 60 to give whatever IBU you want (I'd target more in the 60-80 range total) then put all the rest of those late. Maybe upping the dry hop and either add an addition in the 5-10 range or put it toward the flameout/hopstand.

I think you'll want the special carafa (dehusked), right? Regular carafa III is not debittered. I don't think you need all those hops at 30-60 min. Personally I would adjust the chinook at 60 to give whatever IBU you want (I'd target more in the 60-80 range total) then put all the rest of those late. Maybe upping the dry hop and either add an addition in the 5-10 range or put it toward the flameout/hopstand.

Yes I forgot to add that the Carafa is dehusked I made sure to get that right at the store haha, but yeah the more I think about it the more you're right that I'm wasting the hops in 30-60 min additions. I'll adjust those, thanks for the input :cheers:

Hop additions (60 minute boil)
-1.5 oz Chinook (60 min)
-0.5oz Chinook (30 min)
-1 oz Falconers Flight (0 min)
-1 oz El Dorado (0 min)
-1 oz Falconers Flight (dry hop)
-1 oz El Dorado (dry hop)

Seems more reasonable I have to calc the IBUs out

Back