amount of water mash & sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nizce

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie and just stumbled across this recipe and it sounds VERY good:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155009

I've only made two batches in my life so far, now I'm trying to figure out how much water i should use in the different steps.

The recipe is for 5 gal but i only got a 3 gal fermentor so i thought I'd just take half of everything(except the yeast).

Do these volumes seem ok at the different steps, for a 2,5 gal batch?
There is a total of 4lb grains + 4.5lb LME.

Mash all the grains in a bag with 1,25 gal for 1 hour in 150f water.
Sparge with 1 gal 170f water.
Boil(add hops and so on)
And then add water so that there is a total of 2,5 gal in the fermentor?

Perhaps this is more a general question that goes for a lot of other recipes as well.

Thanks and sorry for my bad English :)
/Daniel

If you have the pot for it, start with more sparge water like 2 gallons. Then you should be able to get to 3.5 gallons pre-boil volume, depending on how much volume the LME adds.

If you have the pot for it, start with more sparge water like 2 gallons. Then you should be able to get to 3.5 gallons pre-boil volume, depending on how much volume the LME adds.

Ok, thanks!
My pot is 6gal so that is great.

Is it always prefferable to have an as large pre-boil volume as possible(not over 3gal in my case though) and not have to add tap water at all if possible?

I guess what im trying to ask is if you can sparge with to much?

Ok, thanks!
My pot is 6gal so that is great.

Is it always prefferable to have an as large pre-boil volume as possible(not over 3gal in my case though) and not have to add tap water at all if possible?

I guess what im trying to ask is if you can sparge with to much?

Full boils are generally preferable. So the pre-boil volume will include boil off. For example, I start at 6.5 gallons to finish with 5 gallons.

Yes you can sparge with too much. Generally I think you want to stop when runnings start reading 1.010, usually you'll reach boil volume by then.

Latest posts

Back