Amount of CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodginBUIs

Reaction score
I am a noob and just bought my first kegerator used in great shape. The 5lb CO2 bottle has some gas left in the tank. I have just kegged my first brew. After cleaning/sterilizing the keg and lines I am down to about 650psi. How much will I need to push out the 5gal. I am of course looking for a rough estimate. Basically, once I'm done carbing, Id like to be able to get through the first batch without running out for a refill, but if I need to, Ill just do it now. Also, how many kegs can you guys go through (cleaning/sterilizing, carbing, serving, etc.) with a 5lb tank? Thanks!

I'm new to kegging too, but I may can help out. CO2 is liquid while under pressure, so since it is in a tank it's going to be liquid. It's going to read the same pressure until right at the end. Mine sits at ~1000psi in my hot garage so I'm assuming if you have yours in a kegerator that is why you are reading 650. Now if it has been at the same temp and you have seen the pressure dropping it may be almost out. I can't tell you how long you have from then, because I have a 20# tank and haven't emptied it. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

The CO2 tank is NOT in the kegerator, its outside of it, next to it (dont know if that makes a difference by showing a lower pressure reading if its inside and cold)

Ignore the high pressure gauge, it's useless. All it will tell you is that you've got CO2 or not, it has nothing to do with the amount.

Take the tank and locate the Tare Weight that should be etched in. Weigh the tank subtract the TW. That should give you an indication of what's left. Once you carbonate the beer, it doesn't take much to serve. I usually leave mine at the same pressure I carbonated at. Some people will turn the pressure down to serve once carbonated. I think I get through 4-5 kegs ( pressurize and serve ) on one 5lb tank, but it's hard to tell since I'm alway rotating out ( 4 keg setup ).

Back