Amount Bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlatheSurferDude

Reaction score
I just bottled my third batch and was wondering how many 12 oz bottles others get? My last batch was 46 12 oz bottles. My first to was a bit less than that but don't remember exactly how many.

And I guess the second question is how do you maximize what you eventually bottle. I do a secondary fermentation so I have two transfers ( primary to secondary and secondary to the bottle bucket). It's a partial boil so i fill the primary to 5 gallons.

And I guess the second question is how do you maximize what you eventually bottle. I do a secondary fermentation so I have two transfers ( primary to secondary and secondary to the bottle bucket). It's a partial boil so i fill the primary to 5 gallons.

I adjust my batches to 5.25 to compensate for transfer and trub loss. Beersmith is worth the investment. You can scale up your recipe and adjust your hops and extract/grains accordingly. Plus at $28 bucks its a steal for the benefit you'll get out of it.

I normally get 40-50 bottles with partial boil topped off to 5 gallons. I think straining from kettle to primary has ended up with noticeably more to bottle, although since I'm topping off it might be slightly more diluted. Letting it sit on the yeast longer before transferring also seems to make the cake tighter and easier to siphon the last drops of beer

I've never bottled more than 48. I did that twice, then switched to bigger bottles, then kegs. When I want to bottle, I use swing-tops now. You get what you get, if you want more, add more grain/malt or find ways to increase efficiency.
Sometimes I want just half a glass, sometimes I want three bottles. I thought about getting small 8 oz bottles when I first started. After finishing a run of 48, that idea quickly flew out of my head.

I bought a 6.5 gallon primary paint bucket that I will put 5.5 gallons in. 1/2 gallon will be left for the extra junk and gravity reading. Then I will transfer 5 gallons to the 5 gallon glass carboy. Should leave 4.9 gallons for bottling with carb drops. That's 52 beers. We'll see:mug:

I get usually 54 bottles from a 5 gallon batch, a month long primary really give me back most of the beer lost to trub, then using the bottling bucket dip tube mentioned in my bottling thread, I leave maybe 4 ounces behind in the bottling bucket.

I generally get 50-52 bottles from a 5 gallon batch. Sometimes there's a partial bottle left over.

I usually get in the 48-55 range, 1, I only use a primary, 2, I fill to 5.25 to 5.5 gallons (extract brewer btw) and 3, I'm not sure I'm gettign 12 oz in each bottle, they might be a few 11.5 or even 11's, never tested. I fill with a bottle filler until it is about the level of the top and pull it out. Head space left is then the displacement of the filler. Recently I got only 45 when I did a pumpkin ale, but I had more sediment with that, pretty much all the pumpkin material I put it plus normal amount for the gravity.

We've done one 5G batch & got 48 12oz bottles. 6G batches generally get 62-67 bottles. What I thought would be 6G in her BB ale pale must've been only 5.5 or so,cause we only got 55 bottles. But 2 hop cones plugged that big barrel tap on the pale,so 1 or 2 bottles worth got trapped.

On all but 2 of my brews I get 52 or 53 bottles. One I was over on and got 57 an one I was low on and got 48.

1 gallon = 128 oz. so 5 gallons = 640 oz. divide by 12 oz. bottles = 53.33

If you allow for trub loss you should end up with ~53 bottles.
Even without allowance, if you are getting less than 48 bottles you are probably doing something wrong. Assuming a 5 gallon batch.

I just bottled another batch last night and got 48 1/2 bottles. There was very little trub in my secondary this time around so I was able to get most out with little sediment.

Back