Ames Farm BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
I want to establish a somewhat easily available honey for a generally good BOMM. Also, I'm curious how this Northern Brewer honey (Ames Farms) stacks up to everything else I've had.

Ames Farm BOMM Recipe - 1 gallon

Start with 1 gallon Ozarka spring water.
Remove 1/2 cup water to compensate for smack pack volume.
Draw line on jugs at this water level.
Remove an additional 4 cups of water from jug.
Add honey back to line.
-About 3 lbs. SG 1.12ish.

Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K.
-Add these again at 2/3 (1.08) & 1/3 (1.04) sugar break.

Add 1/4 tsp K2CO3. One time addition.

Shake with the top on until honey is fully dissolved.
Add activated Wyeast 1388 yeast smacked for about 2 hours.

Better brewing through science!

I just ordered some honey and 1388 from NB, almost got the Ames but ended up with wildflower. Let us know how it turns out!

Day 5
1.03. Added nutrients. I've made a sack mead with this honey before. I've not enjoyed it so far, but I thought it was because I added too much tea. Or it needed more age.
Nope. I just don't like this honey for traditional mead. I'll let it finish and see what spices or fruit I can use for this guy to make it enjoyable. I know it is good with Blackcurrants.

Loveofrose, I am also in the Dallas area, Have you found a good local source of honey in our area that is reasonably priced? Just picked up a couple packs of wyeast 1388 from the wine makers toy store in Carrolton (forgot to ask them if they sold honey). Would like to find something better than what I have been using, but I don't purchase off the internet. Sorry if this is off topic.

I noticed your other comment in another thread about not using "flouresent orange" label stuff (yes I know what honey that is and had not yet used it thankfully.

Stroope Honey Farms makes a wildflower honey good for table mead an metheglins. It's not as good as orange blossom though. You can find it a Kroger in 5 lbs bottles.

There is a farmers market in Allen and McKinney (Google time and location) with local beekeepers. I've not tried the honey, but I can't imagine it would be bad. It's on the list!

Day 12
1.004. It has a very perfumed bouquet now and tastes a bit like lavender scented lemonade. Very tasty!

Day 21
Gravity 1.000. The lavender and rosemary are in full force. I decided to rack off the spices so it can start to mellow out. Also, I began cold crashing. This will be nice on a hot summer afternoon. The lavender gives a wonderful aroma while rosemary gives a hop like effect to the drink. It has a perceived sweetness for some reason as well despite being bone dry.

Day 26
Fully clear after the cold crash. I bottled and tasted. Tastes a bit like the Szechuan BOMM but much rougher around the edges. This one will need some time to mellow out a bit.

Back