American wheat with Bavarian yeast and Strisselspalter and Serebrianka hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I might be getting a little crazy here, but I'd like - if possible - to brew a beer from American wheat, using Bavarian yeast as well as Strisselspalter and Serebrianka hops.

The reason for this is that my family came to America via an interesting path. In the early 1800s they migrated from Alsace and Bavaria to Ukraine, to farm for the Russian empire - similar to the WolgaDeutsche, but since they settled near the Black Sea, they were called SchwarzmeerDeutsche. A few decades later, when things started going bad for Germans in Russia, they came to America and settled in western North Dakota, farming and establishing deep roots there with other families of "Germans from Russia." They also cultivated hops, brewed beer, made country wine and engaged in a lot of other activities that have more or less passed down to me, living in Montana.

Anyway, if this can work, I'd like to try it. I am not trying to emulate any style in particular, but I would like to make some good beer. An all-wheat beer is preferred, if possible, but it is NOT necessary. If a better beer can be brewed by blending 2-row or pilsner (or some other grain) with the wheat, then I am all for it.

I have access to wheat and other grains from MaltEurop, which as I recall is actually grown here in Montana. The Strisselspalter and Serebrianka hops both look interesting, but I'm not sure if it would be good to mix the two, or simply use one as a bittering and the other as an aroma/flavouring hop - or any combination thereof. Between the two, the smoky-tea and tobacco-leather of the Serebrianka sound like a nicer aroma profile, but the Strisselspalter has some great things going for it as well. The Bavarian yeast is a nod to my roots as well, and it also provides a flavor and aroma profile that I really like.

Anyway, I'll eventually give this a shot, but my lack of experience would probably lead to more unnecessary trial and error than necessary. Suggestions for developing a 1-gallon batch would be helpful. Also, if I am completely off my rocker here, let me know now, before I am in too deep and entrenched in the concept!

Thanks in advance -

Ron

Here is one of my first wheat beers that turned out more American than I had wanted. I used wlp351 - great strain - and I really enjoyed how subtle the banana was but the spice was too much. Probably from the tettnanger, and using too much of it. However I think those hops would make an interesting combo with a full bodied wheat beer. I scaled it down to a 1 gal in the attachment

View attachment Platinum Blonde Weissexml.xml

Hey - how's it going?

I feel like a moron, but I've tried every way 'til Sunday to open that attachment. I was able to open ones you've previously posted, but not this one.

Can you double-check it, please?

Thanks for the suggestions, too! A good place to start is always a nice thing to have -

Ron

1 Gal
OG 1.050
FG 1.013
75%AA
Efficiency 70%
21.3IBU
4.91%ABV

Grist
Red Wheat 58.5% 1.118#
Bel Pale 32.5% 0.621#
CaraCrystal Wheat/CaraWheat 5.02% 0.096#