American Wheat Recipe...Please Tweak and Comment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryiman

Reaction score
.5 lbs. American Caramel 40°L
2 lbs. Wheat DME
1 lbs. Light DME
2.5 lbs. Corn Sugar
.5 lbs. Wheat Flaked
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.25 oz. Perle (Pellets, 5.5 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.25 oz. Perle (Pellets, 5.5 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale

ABV = 5.1%
SRM = 8.4
IBU = 24.2

Will be boiling 3 gallons of water. 5 gallons total for the batch size. I am going to add in bitter orange peel but not sure if I should do it at flameout or at 15 mins left. Then in the secondary im going to put a hint of blueberry extract. I dont know how much blueberry I should add though. Thanks for the critics.

I've got an AmWheat (Lawnmower beer for summer) in primary right now, so I took a look at this post.

Several thoughts on this one:

A. That's a LOT of corn sugar. 38% of your "grainbill". Any thoughts on doing roughly, say, a 40/40 split between the Wheat DME and Light DME, throwing your caramel malt in there for good measure? Remember, also, that Wheat DME may only be made from like 60% wheat malt and 40% pale malt, so your recipe is pretty low on actual wheat.

B. I'm no expert on this, but I don't see what the flaked wheat will do for you cuz you don't have any enzymes to convert it. The caramel malt doesn't need to convert (it's already sugar) so that's cool, but without some 2-row or some other enzymatic malt your wheat is just gonna sit there and be wheat. I haven't used it, but Caramel Wheat malt might be a better choice for you since it doesn't require conversion.

C. The extracts don't really DO anything in secondary, so you can add them right at bottling time. If you're unsure of the amount to use, you can vary it through bottling time. Start with none for the first 12 bottles, add it add a small concentration for next 12, then increase. That way you can figure out what YOU like.

FWIW, my recipe is 4# Belgian Pils, 4# Wheat malt, 1# Munich w/ Glacier for bittering and Mt. Hood for flavor addition. I used Wyeast 1272 (WL051) cuz 1056 is too clean and boring for my tastes.

Thanks for the fast reply. I did a high corn sugar because I wanted a high ABV. But I am new to formulating recipes so I wasn't sure on what to do with the weights of all the ingrediants. I didnt know the flaked wheat need to be mashed with grain. If you could help me out with the weights of the DME thatd be great. I want to keep it around 8-9 color wise.

Don't use corn sugar, use dme, their both sugar, it's just maltose makes beer, dextrose does not.

I'm pretty new to brewing myself, so I usually dont comment or help on others recipes. But! since I just banged out an American Wheat last week I believe I am qualified, though I advise you to take my advice in stride...

1.) I would certainly lose the corn sugar entirely, as this will impart little flavor. If you pull the corn sugar, be sure to compensate by increasing the DME additions. Keep in mind that wheat DME is already a 50/50 blend of wheat DME and pilsen malt DME.

2.) I would not use flaked wheat unless you were mashing, as I believe flaked/crushed wheat must be mashed with a malted grain due to its lack of diastatic potential (the ability to convert starches into sugar). do a search for "Partial Mash". It may be a few extra steps in the process, but it opens the door to a multitude of different grains you can use, including flaked wheat, which will in turn complexify your flavors. If you had steeped the half pound of flaked wheat, it may have imparted slight flavor, but will have introduced starches into your wort, which may become food for biological nasties other than yeast. Also, I dont know if complexify is a word.

3.) I would use an american yeast strain, although using a neutral ale strain such as wlp001 IS definately "to style" according to the bjcp @ www.bjcp.org I used WY1010 Wyeast American Wheat strain for a slightly more authentic feel (to me). apparently this yeast I chose is very very very clean, almost not even a wheat except for the fact that its floculation is very low, but that is just what I read.

4.)I would ditch the 40L caramel, as I would try to keep this beer as light as possible. If a slightly more complex grain bill is absolutely necessary, I would keep it to around a half a pound of 10 L crystal.

5.) The bitter orange peel is definatly a killer idea, though this is taking it slightly off the rails in terms of style. I would definatly add it though, but im not too sure what time during the boil is best... hey veterans?

6.) Boiling as much of the wort as you can is great for keeping the carmelization in the kettle down, which in turn will keep your worts color as light as possible. 3 gallons is nice.

7.) "Just a Hint" of fruits is, in my opinion, the way to do it. I am also an advocate of fresh fruit instead of the extracts though. If I were you, I would add about half a pound of blueberries first crushed in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. keep in mind this will again mess with your color, so maybe the extract is the way to go. its a trade off in my view.

8.) Spicy late addition hops is the way to go when adding fruit in secondary, so pearle is a good choice. I have read that fruity hops over-run the fruity tones of fruited beers, so keep it spicy. I might change the cascade to a spicier hop, though im not sure how much citrus flavor would come through after 60 minutes anyway. might be OK

Hey, **** what have I done! Your original recipe would have been a damn fine beer, but I think you may benefit from a tip or two. also remember, look in to all this **** I just said, as I am sure some of the pro brewers on here can shoot holes through at least one of them. I would like to hear from them as well though. Good luck and keep me posted on how this turns out, as I have a growing interest in the style and would love to hear about your batch...

How about this?

5.75 lbs Wheat DME
.5 lbs Crystal 40
1 oz Cascade, 60 mins
WLP320 American Hefe yeast

Just a touch over 5% ABV, 8.5 SRM, and very simple. Add no more than 1/2 oz of bitter orange at flameout. Take it REALLY easy with the extract flavoring should you choose to add blueberry at some point.

aryiman said:
Thanks for the fast reply. I did a high corn sugar because I wanted a high ABV.

buy Austin Homebrew Store's (austinhomebrew.com) alcohol boost if you want some extra ABV. doesn't add/subtract flavor or body. only use one pack of it though. it adds 1% ABV. change that sugar to Extra Pale DME or LME (+ 20% for LME) I have used high volumes on sugar once and hated the taste it imparted. I have read scores of people saying that sugar doesn't add a beer taste so I believe it was more the sugar than my procedure as I haven't tasted anything like it in any of my other batches.

Now that I look at it again, I'd say change that 2 lbs of wheat dme and 1 lb of light DME to 5 lbs of Wheat DME if you want a Wheat beer. There's plenty of Light DME in that Wheat mixture. I can't speak as much to the grains though.

:tank:

:

Yuri_Rage said:
How about this?

5.75 lbs Wheat DME
.5 lbs Crystal 40
1 oz Cascade, 60 mins
WLP320 American Hefe yeast

Just a touch over 5% ABV, 8.5 SRM, and very simple. Add no more than 1/2 oz of bitter orange at flameout. Take it REALLY easy with the extract flavoring should you choose to add blueberry at some point.

I researched the Hefe yeast, will I be able to taste the banana flavor from the yeast? Would the WLP380 be better since it has minimal banana and more citrus added?

aryiman said:
I researched the Hefe yeast, will I be able to taste the banana flavor from the yeast? Would the WLP380 be better since it has minimal banana and more citrus added?
The 380 strain would be a great way to go. I get very little banana from the 320, but 380 sounds like it's even more subdued and may complement the orange notes.

380 is a great yeast and very durable, I used it to make my imperial Hefe because I didn't want the banana accents in that big of a beer. The only downside to the yeast I found was that too young it had to much sulfur taste for my liking 1 week later it was great.

Thanks to everybody for their help with my choice in my first recipe process. I appreciate it greatly. If anyone knows a website that explains recipes and the weights and everything needed or percentages needed thatd be good as well.

.25 lbs. American Caramel 40°L
5.75 lbs. Muntons Dry Wheat
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.25 oz. Perle (Pellets, 5.6 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.25 oz. Perle (Pellets, 5.6 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale

Flameout: Bitter Orange Peel
Bottling Bucket: Blueberry extract
Thats my final product what I came up with.

aryiman said:
If anyone knows a website that explains recipes and the weights and everything needed or percentages needed thatd be good as well.
At the risk of sounding a bit harsh, this thread was a bit like pulling teeth. You really need to have a firmer grasp on ingredient choice and recipe formulation rather than taking a random stab in the dark, then asking us to fix it for you. Look around at other recipes, brew some of them exactly as they're written, and scour this site (and others) for information. You'll be a better brewer for it.

http://www.howtobrew.com is a great reference.

http://www.hbd.org/recipator is an online recipe formulation tool.

http://www.bjcp.org lists all of the generally accepted beer styles, including the suggestion of basic ingredients.

I read How To Brew and went back for reference. I also looked at a bunch of Summer Wheats but none of them were any that I liked so I wanted to formulate my own. I'm sorry I put you all through a big hassle. Hopefully this beer will come out good. Thanks for the resources with other links.

I agree with being real careful on the extract. A local bar has a blueberry hefe that is absolutely awful. It has a very fake medicine extreme fake sweetener kind of taste. I think it must be the extract. I have not done one, but I hear good things about Oregon fruit purees in the can. Good luck.

Back