American Wheat primary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
I was told a secondary fermenter is pointless for this style beer. So my question is, how long should I leave it in the primary before moving to the keg?

Should I cold crash this to sink any yeast to the bottom before kegging?

I wouldn't say a secondary fermentation is completely pointless, but that probably depends on your process. I personally don't secondary anything unless there are added additions to the beer (fruit, maybe dry hopping, etc.), but other brewers might do things differently.

After primary fermentation is complete, you can let it sit for a week or two to clear, or cold crash to clear things up. I think my last two American Wheats were in the primary for between 3-4 weeks, with about a week of that being cold crashing. I like to drop most of the sediment out of my beer, then transfer to the keg. Once in the keg, anything else will either settle to the bottom and stay there, or go through your draft line and give you a cloudy beer. Most of the time, my first 2-3 pints are a little more cloudy and after that the beer clears up. With a wheat beer, the beers are naturally a little more cloudy, but the sediment and yeast have been removed by cold crashing and kegging.

I wouldn't say a secondary fermentation is completely pointless, but that probably depends on your process. I personally don't secondary anything unless there are added additions to the beer (fruit, maybe dry hopping, etc.), but other brewers might do things differently.

After primary fermentation is complete, you can let it sit for a week or two to clear, or cold crash to clear things up. I think my last two American Wheats were in the primary for between 3-4 weeks, with about a week of that being cold crashing. I like to drop most of the sediment out of my beer, then transfer to the keg. Once in the keg, anything else will either settle to the bottom and stay there, or go through your draft line and give you a cloudy beer. Most of the time, my first 2-3 pints are a little more cloudy and after that the beer clears up. With a wheat beer, the beers are naturally a little more cloudy, but the sediment and yeast have been removed by cold crashing and kegging.

This is my first wheat beer so I was concerned cold crashing it would be poor form... Looks like I should be good to go

Thanks

If it is done fermenting then it should be ready for the keg. Wheat beers are wonderfully simple things that, when done right, are delicious. Go ahead and keg that wheat brew!

I think you'll be fine. Out of curiosity would you mind sharing your recipe?

No problem...just an fyi, this is the first all grain recipe I have designed myself...everything from the water to the recipe...I will find out soon enough how it turned out...let me know what you think please...all input is welcome

Recipe: American Orange Wheat 2
Brewer: Fred
Asst Brewer: Tim
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.08 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 5.0 %
4 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 40.0 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 37.5 %
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4 10.0 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.5 %
0.40 oz Magnum [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.4 IBUs
0.40 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.6 IBUs
5.00 Items Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
0.50 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) [ Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 13.50 qt of water at 163.9 F 153.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.49gal, 3.66gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
zest 5 large oranges being carful not to get white beneath peel. Also, juice from one large orange into boil at same time as zest. After fermentation is complete cold crash for 3 days then keg.

I used 100% distilled water and added gypsum, epsom salt and calcium chloride to the water in order to create a soft, balanced water with low Residual Alkalinity

That's an adventurous first AG recipe, I'd interested to know how it turns out.

I'd say with the zest and orange juice additions that this beer will definately benefit from a little cold conditioning.

I'd say with the zest and orange juice additions that this beer will definately benefit from a little cold conditioning.

I have been brewing for a few years but just started doing all grain in January, thanks to a generous Christmas present from my brother. I have made 3 batches prior to this and they have all turned out great so far. However, they were all clones and I figured it was time to build a recipe on my own. I kept everything pretty tame, with the exception of the OJ and the zest.

I honestly have no clue how this affects the overall taste, etc but figured if it helps great, if it hurts...make a mental note for next time (or in this case, note it in BeerSmith).

You mention the OJ and Zest additions will benifit from cold conditioning...can you tell me why that is? I am trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible so it would help to understand the science/rationale behind cold conditioning if you add OJ and zest.

Thanks!

I'm no expert on the use of zest and juice in beer. My thought is simply that the zest may break up into small particles and take some time to clear. Freshly squeezed OJ might contribute haze or proteins as fresh juice can be a little hazy.

I'm no expert on the use of zest and juice in beer. My thought is simply that the zest may break up into small particles and take some time to clear. Freshly squeezed OJ might contribute haze or proteins as fresh juice can be a little hazy.

Thank you... I see your point... I also put the wort through a stainless steel fine mes strainer while transferring from boil kettle to fermenter. That however doesn't always get 100% of the junk out.

I will let you know how this ends up... Thanks again

OK, so i told you I would report back with an update on how this tastes. I cant tell you exactly how it tastes because I just moved it from the primary to my keg (after cold crashing it for two days)...but...I did sample it and it smells wonderful and the taste was defnitly a wheat beer with a slight sweet flavor/smell of orange.

I will carb this for a couple weeks and tap into it ASAP...once I do I will let you know how it turned out.

so I tasted this for the first time this week and it is really tasty. if I had to change anything I would make it have a bit more body...it is a little thin tasting but very refreshing. How would I go about making this with more body, would I simply mash at a higher temp?

so I tasted this for the first time this week and it is really tasty. if I had to change anything I would make it have a bit more body...it is a little thin tasting but very refreshing. How would I go about making this with more body, would I simply mash at a higher temp?

the orange flavor is great, not overpowering but definitely there.

Back