American style stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse93

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of brewing an american stout next weekend and I need some advices. I want to have a brew with taste of orangepeels/citrus and coffee. I have the following recepie:

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
EBC: 67
IBU: 35

83% Pale Ale Malt
7% Briess Organic Roasted Barley
5% Cara Crystal 40L
5% Dark Chocolate Malt

Columbus as bittering (60 min)
Centennial & Cascade @ flameout

Fermeting with 1272 American Ale II

What do you think? Shall I substitute the dark chocolate malt with more roasted barley, anthing else?

Best regards.

The recipe looks reasonable to me. I don't know how "roasty" you are shooting for, but that's already a pretty healthy dose of roasted barley. I find that keeping the roasty stuff (i.e., roasted barley, black patent) between 5-8% gives a roasty flavor note without being too harsh.

I'd start on the lower side, and if it's not enough, bump it up a bit next time. I don't know about you, but I'd rather sit on a batch of beer that is slightly under-roasty than over-roasty.

You could maybe drop the RB down to 5% and add in 2% black patent in its place, if you want to mix it up a bit.

Also, maybe make a bit of room for 3% Carafa II, which I have found brings an aroma that reminds me a bit of coffee.

The recipe looks reasonable to me. I don't know how "roasty" you are shooting for, but that's already a pretty healthy dose of roasted barley. I find that keeping the roasty stuff (i.e., roasted barley, black patent) between 5-8% gives a roasty flavor note without being too harsh.

I'd start on the lower side, and if it's not enough, bump it up a bit next time. I don't know about you, but I'd rather sit on a batch of beer that is slightly under-roasty than over-roasty.

You could maybe drop the RB down to 5% and add in 2% black patent in its place, if you want to mix it up a bit.

Also, maybe make a bit of room for 3% Carafa II, which I have found brings an aroma that reminds me a bit of coffee.

Thanks! I'll cut it down a bit and use the rest for a porter that I am going to brew later this autumn. Too bad I didn't order any black patent or carafa

Water profile adjustments to something along the Black Bitter profile, and 12% roasted malt is not terrible in an American stout. I also like oats or wheat in my versions with a bit of black malt, maybe swap a 1-2% of RB for black malt.

Water profile adjustments to something along the Black Bitter profile, and 12% roasted malt is not terrible in an American stout. I also like oats or wheat in my versions with a bit of black malt, maybe swap a 1-2% of RB for black malt.

If I add ~6g of calcium carbonate, the water profile gets extremely close to Dublins water :mug:

Back