American/Pale Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spames

Reaction score
I like wheat beers, but I'm not a fan of the yeastiness of traditional wheat beers. I like Appalacian Water Gap Wheat, but even that beer seems to leave a bit to be desired. I was thinking along the lines of:

5.5 gal:
6lb dme wheat
1lb dme extra light

Not sure on the hops, but was leaning more toward aroma and finishing and maybe dry hopping, rather than large on the bittering scale. It can't be something scarce, since LHBS won't have it...

For yeast, I was thinking about Nottingham since I have a packet in the fridge. Anyone have suggestions for this type of beer?

I've made plenty of wheat beers with nottingham, with decent results, just don't expect that banana-ee clove-ee taste, because you won't get it with nottingham. For hops I usually do a bittering addition only, of a fairly mild hop, like 1oz of willamette or similar. I usually shoot for 15 to 20 IBUs for wheats.

I've made plenty of wheat beers with nottingham, with decent results, just don't expect that banana-ee clove-ee taste, because you won't get it with nottingham. For hops I usually do a bittering addition only, of a fairly mild hop, like 1oz of willamette or similar. I usually shoot for 15 to 20 IBUs for wheats.

Good, because the banana/clove and yeast characteristics are what I don't like in a wheat beer. I'm more of an eat your wheaties plain type.

I might give the willamette a try - what do yo think about Pearle? I have an ounce of that in the fridge, but would rather buy something recommended than ruin a batch with what I have laying around :)

Ok, how about:

5.5 gal
Target IBU 19
Est. Orig. Gravity 1.056
Est. Final Gravity 1.013
Est. Color 6.9
Est. ABV 5.5%

Bring 4 gal to boil, add 1lb ex. light DME
Boil .5oz Pearle for 45 min
Add 6lb Wheat DME, bring to boil
Boil .5oz Pearle for 5 min

Cool to 75, pitch yeast, move to basement for ferment @ 65 deg.

Think that'll do OK?

My local place had Amarillo, which was a surprise, so I went with that instead. ~ .8oz for 60, ~1.6 at flame-out, and I have another 1.6 for dry hopping - Found a gumballhead clone that inspired me :) Hoping I like this style!

I loved the Amarillo aroma when boiling, couldn't resist smelling lots!

Amarillo will do very nice in the type of wheat you're going for. FWIW, I love a "pale" wheat like that too, Simcoe is also a very good hop for what you're going for. The nottingham yeast is a good choice, when I made mine I went with a US-05 and it was very good, very light and crisp. If you've ever had a boulevard wheat, somthing similar to that.

Latest posts

Back