American Pale Ale goin in the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingbrewer70

Reaction score
My girlfriend gave me a American Pale Ale kit that my LHBS builds themselves.... Had a couple problems missed the OG it was 1.054 mine came to 1.042 put in a little sugar brought it up to 1.050.
Was unable to bottle so it sat in the for a extra week took FG today as I wanted to bottle the brew it was 1.004
Not sure what I did wrong but it's pretty hoppy doesn't taste bad. Here's a pic ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397441190.706236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like they gave you lighter,more fermentable extracts,etc. Looks about the same color as the Cooper's OS Lager,or Midwest's Cascade pale ale kits I've done.

By adding sugar instead of more malt extract, that means more simple sugars in the beer. Simple sugars ferment completely- that's why you got a FG of 1.004 instead of something like 1.010-1.012.

Thanks Yooper! I don't like screwing up but these mistakes like these helps me make better beer. It's dry now and it tastes more hoppy yet light... I'm sure I can find someone to drink it.

Thanks Yooper! I don't like screwing up but these mistakes like these helps me make better beer. It's dry now and it tastes more hoppy yet light... I'm sure I can find someone to drink it.

It actually sounds pretty good! Hoppy and light and dry will be a very good beer once carbed up, I bet.

I like the bit of amber/orange color as well. Looks like one of the Libby's glasses from Aldi's. I have that one.

Thanks.... It tastes great the head looked like whipped cream it was awesome
Yeah not sure where my girlfriend got them but I love them

Yeah,I love it when a home brew gives good head! I like those glasses myself. Aldi's has that one in a set of 6 different glasses for $12.97. Libby's glassware too! :mug:

Of course I can

7.2 lbs. Pale malt extract
1lb cara-pils/dextrin
1 lb crystal 10
hops
at beginning of boil 1oz us northern Brewer
15 mins before the end of boil 1oz williamette
5 mins before the end of boil 1oz williamette

grains were steeped @156 for 20 min
yeast was safale -05
used 5oz corn sugar to carb the bottles
was a kit as ive stated before but it was fun.
i stated in a previous post that i screwed up and didnt make the OG i added 8.75oz corn sugar to bring up the OG from 1.042 to 1.050 any questions about this beer feel free to ask

Latest posts

Back