American Barleywine with 1112 OG and S04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidens

Reaction score
Hi! Yesterday I brewed an American Barleywine and finally the OG was higher than I was looking: 1112.

I had decided to use two packets of S04, but I am not sure about the viability of the yeast when the alcohol increases. I had a starter of Wlp500 running as well, but the starter is going a bit lazy, and I am not sure at all with it.

Maybe, I am thinking in add the starter tomorrow to the fermenter and make a blend of S04( already in) and the Wlp500, because this has a high alcohol tolerance.

What do you think?

If it was an English barleywine I would think s04 would be fine but for an American Barleywine I would think us05 or wlp001. If you don't feel like going that route I would pitch all the yeast you have and it should be fine.

I should be more clear if the s04 stalls out at an OG you're not happy with I'd pitch the wlp500

Ok! I think that tomorrow I'd tried to picht the wlp500.
It has a lot of hop, thus I think that the character of an American Barleywine is trusted anyway.

The fermentation is stopped at 1040 points.
I have doubts about if to increase temperature or add a vial of wlp001...

You can employ a wine yeast at this point.

You should have a listen to Beersmith radio episode #117 with John Blichmann where they discuss making big beers. Some great info on there.

Also BYO has an article on barley wines where you'll get some detailed information on employing multiple yeasts to ferment big beers and also achieve unique characteristics from each yeast.

You have a couple options like rousing the yeast (agitation) or raising the temp (which you should do anyway at 1.040 depending on what it's at now.

Honestly 1.040 isn't that high for that OG but I would wanna get it down in the 30's. A wine yeast will certainly do this without a lot of flavor contribution at this point.

i'd try adding a vial of something else. i love the flavor and mouth feel of safale 04 but it does not ferment as dry as i would like. i've tried doing really big yeast starters with it but that only drops it a 2-4 more points than normal.

Yes, but I am afraid about wine yeast because the FG can be under 1010 points.
Well with 1030 I am satisfied. This weekend new data and if it continues with the same, I will pitch the wlp001 vial.
And if course, I will read and listen your recommendations.
Thanks a lot!

Yes, but I am afraid about wine yeast because the FG can be under 1010 points.
Well with 1030 I am satisfied. This weekend new data and if it continues with the same, I will pitch the wlp001 vial.
And if course, I will read and listen your recommendations.
Thanks a lot!

The easy sugars are probably already gone at this point, so a wine yeast will actually do nothing but ruin all of your chances(it will kill any other yeast you try to put in there)

Yesterday, I have measured density and it continues in 1040 😭. Thus I pitched a vial of Wlp001.
One week and if it continues in this way, I will finish the fermentation at this point...

Finally, the beer remains established at 1040. Thus I have bottled last week...I guess that fermentation should finish yet...because if not I will have a problem...jejeje

I had RIS stop on me early at 1.039 not too long ago. I went ahead and bottled and one of those bottles was a PET so I could gage if it went over carbonated. When the PET was fully flexed, I pasteurized my bottles. I know this may cause some off flavors, but I was willing to roll the dice.....we shall see in about a year when it mellows out.

Latest posts

Back