American Ale and fermentation characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years now and this is my second time using American Ale (WLP001). I've always liked the English strains mostly for flocculation and the fact that Cal ale is so popular. So I accepted the fact that its such a good yeast that i'm on my second brew with it now. (new strains). I am surprised at how slow the fermentation is compared to some of the English yeasts. Brewed an IPA on Sunday 1.066OG and 72 hours later it's at high krausen and reads 1.030. Just seems a little slow with both beers. I pitch big and oxygenate. What kind of results are you all seeing?

Both these beers i pitched at 63 and rose it two degrees per day until 68F.

I'll tell you what, right now I am seeing that with WL American V. First time using it and after 8 days it's only down to 1.030 from 1.057. Now it's day 10, still bubbling away. I wish I could see it, I have it in my brewhemoth. I am a bit concerned about it actually.

Normally I brew this ( pale ) with Wyeast am ale II and it finishes in 4 days.

I've used the Wyeast Am ale II a lot as well and had good results most of the time. When I didn't it was obviously my fault. But with the White labs I just couldn't get it right. I either had slow fermentations or hot alcohol. And when I had a slow ferment it was undrinkably sulphury.

Just made an amber ale I fermented with WLP001 (first time using that particular strain, decided to add another to my yeast bank). I pitched at 62 and bumped up temps to 64 after 3 days, then up to 68 after 3 more days. I pitched on a Sunday with a big starter and plenty of pure O2, I checked gravity on day 6 and it went from 1.062 to 1.010 in 5-6 days.

Celticway said:
I'll tell you what, right now I am seeing that with WL American V. First time using it and after 8 days it's only down to 1.030 from 1.057. Now it's day 10, still bubbling away. I wish I could see it, I have it in my brewhemoth. I am a bit concerned about it actually.

Normally I brew this ( pale ) with Wyeast am ale II and it finishes in 4 days.

Update on mine, day 11 down to 1.016. Strange brew. Taste is good. I wonder why it took so long to get down. I brought it up to 71 since day 9.

Back