Amber recipe - suggestions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
I have a mini surplus of Columbus hops and want to try them in a couple of different styles. Are columbus hops too dramatic and citrusy for this style? I'm going for a smooth beer not too hoppy or bitter for my friends who don't like IPA's.

6.5lbs 2row
2lbs Munich
1lb Crystal 60

0.5oz (15.4%AA) Columbus @ 60
1oz (15.4%AA) Columbus @ 10

Possibly dryhopping with 0.5-1oz (not sure yet)

Nottingham or S05 (not decided yet)

Personally I'd love columbus in an amber, but it does have a very strong, hoppy flavor that may not sit well with your friends who don't like IPAs. An ounce at 10 min is gonna carry a good bit of flavor. Maybe bump back the 10 min addition and adjust the 60 min to account for IBUs.

Or just load up on late and flameout additions, dry hop the bejesus out of it, and drink it all yourself!

Haha, thanks, I have to resist the urge to late hop it heavily on this one unfortunately. I probably have an ounce of cascade hanging out somewhere that I will flavor it with instead.

I can always make a Columbus smash Ipa I guess.

59% pale 2 row
21% crystal 80
8% Munich
8% Maris otter
2% special roast
1% pale chocolate

Mash 153 60min, mash out and sparge 168
60 min boil. I hopped with willamettes and cascades.
white labs cal ale v with a 1200ml starter
13.25 brix OG, FG around 6.75

This was a special amber for my better half. She never liked beer so I kept brewing until I came up with something she liked. Works out around 21 SRM and 25-35 IBU depending on how she wants it.

Latest posts

Back