Amber DME using Light & Dark DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooliganism

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase some DME and was wondering if I could limit my costs.

Would mixing 5lb Golden Light DME (4L) and 1lb Dark DME (30L) be the same as using 6lb Amber DME (10L) for flavor?

Or does Amber have a distinct flavor that can't be matched by mixing?

I dislike both amber and dark DME- as they have crystal malt and other things in them, but I have no idea what or how much!

I always buy light or extra light extract, and then use specialty grains for color and flavor. Even all-grain brewers don't buy "dark base malt"- they buy a light base grain and then add things like roasted barley and crystal malt to make something like a stout.

If you really want to save money, I'd get light DME and use it for every single batch and just buy a pound or two of specialty grains for each recipe.

I def agree. Ever since I started doing PB/PM BIAB,I started makin my own color & flavor grain additions. You can look up the grains & see what lovobond they are. This way you can get an idea of color.

Back