Amber Ale Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a flavorful Amber Ale, let me know how this is:

6.50 Light Malt Extract Syrup
2.50 British Munich
0.20 American Chocolate
0.50 American Crystal 20L
1.00 American Two-row Pale
2/3 oz Nugget Hops @ 60min
2/3 oz Willamette @ 15 min
1/3 oz Willamette @ 1 min
Wyeast American Ale

I'll probably do a partial mash to get everything out of the Munich Malt. How do you think the hops will work together? Is 2/3 oz Willamette at 4.3% AA enough to get a good hop flavor? :rockin:

Looks good. I'd probably use a darker crystal than 20L. At least 60. My amber that I just did used 0.5 lb of Crystal 75 and 0.5 lb of Crystal 120, but with only a half pound of Munich.

Not that anyone cares anymore, but this Amber has been getting rave reviews from all my beer snob friends, and i really like it as well. It has almost a bit of a hefeweissen taste to it, which doesn't make any sense to me because there's no wheat and I used an american ale yeast, but it's great so I won't argue.

I care. Ambers and hefe's are my favorites. Anything you could foresee changing about it? What aspects stood out most?

sconnie said:
Not that anyone cares anymore, but this Amber has been getting rave reviews from all my beer snob friends, and i really like it as well. It has almost a bit of a hefeweissen taste to it, which doesn't make any sense to me because there's no wheat and I used an american ale yeast, but it's great so I won't argue.

I brewed an amber once and it also had a hefe taste to it. It was a Brewer's Best kit too.

Back