Amarillo+Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shigadeyo

Reaction score
I'm burned out on my IPA recipes since they all use some combination of Columbus, Mosaic, Cascade and/or Centennial and would like to change it up with a really crisp and refreshing Amarillo+Simcoe IPA. Below is the recipe that I have been working on to brew this weekend. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Cheers and THANK YOU!

Code:
Recipe: Amarillo+Simcoe IPA
Brewer: shigadeyo
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------------------------------
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
13 lbs 8.0 oz         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        96.4 %        
8.0 oz                Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM)   Grain         2        3.6 %         
0.50 oz               Magnum [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           3        20.8 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           4        6.7 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           5        10.7 IBUs     
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)        Fining        6        -             
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           7        4.9 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           8        7.8 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           9        2.7 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           10       4.3 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15. Hop           11       3.4 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15.0 Hop           12       5.3 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         13       -             
1.00 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days     Hop           14       0.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           15       0.0 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: +Batch_152F (Medium Body)
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs
Name                  Description                            Step Temperature  Step Time      
Mash In               Add 17.98 qt of water at 163.3 F       152.0 F           60 min         

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.29gal) of 168.0 F water

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

I think it looks pretty good honestly. I like the amarillo/simcoe combo. I think you could leave it as is and be really happy with it. If it were me, since I'm obsessed with aroma, I would double up on your whirlpool addition and on your dry hop. But that's just me and my preference. I think it looks pretty good to be honest. May have to add this one to my "to do" list.

looks solid
Some say simcoe gives off some cat pee and advise throwing the balance towards Amarillo. I would say its more of a personal preference.

Yoopers Dogfish head 60 minute IPA uses Simcoe and Amarillo and is a time tested winner.

If your looking to change things up I use the malt bill from the Zombie Dust clone for my IPA in the recipe section here and adjust hops from brew to brew...Perfect mouthful and color. Might be something to take a look at

I think it looks pretty good honestly. I like the amarillo/simcoe combo. I think you could leave it as is and be really happy with it. If it were me, since I'm obsessed with aroma, I would double up on your whirlpool addition and on your dry hop. But that's just me and my preference. I think it looks pretty good to be honest. May have to add this one to my "to do" list.

looks solid
Some say simcoe gives off some cat pee and advise throwing the balance towards Amarillo. I would say its more of a personal preference.

Yoopers Dogfish head 60 minute IPA uses Simcoe and Amarillo and is a time tested winner.

If your looking to change things up I use the malt bill from the Zombie Dust clone for my IPA in the recipe section here and adjust hops from brew to brew...Perfect mouthful and color. Might be something to take a look at

I always struggle most with the grain bill for an IPA as I can't decide what I really want and whether it should include Vienna, Munich, and/or Crystal (and what L). Many of my previous recipes use some combination of those in larger proportions, but they are starting to feel heavy/filling. I'd like to keep it simple and allow the hops to shine more, yet still have some balance.

I saw Yooper's DFH 60 Minute recipe and liked the idea of just pale malt and some amber, but I don't have any of the recommended amber on hand nor is it readily available in the area (as far as I know). I may call around to be sure.

I definitely hear what you're saying about Simcoe, but it's a hop I personally love. I just don't typically brew with it for some reason as I'm almost always using Columbus and Mosaic, Mosaic, and MOSAIC! I love Mosaic, but have made so many beers with it over the past few years that I need a break (at least for an IPA brew or two).

You don't need the Amber. You can sub it for Crisp I believe its called. I've made it many times and never used the Thomas Faucet..Yooper even said she subs it out sometimes

I looked at the recipe last week and it is up on deck for me to brew. It looks tasty.

I looked at the recipe last week and it is up on deck for me to brew. It looks tasty.
it's a good one. I'm not huge on the Citra only but the grain bill works...beautiful color too.

20170129_161309_resized.jpg

I'm burned out on my IPA recipes since they all use some combination of Columbus, Mosaic, Cascade and/or Centennial and would like to change it up with a really crisp and refreshing Amarillo+Simcoe IPA. Below is the recipe that I have been working on to brew this weekend. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Cheers and THANK YOU!

Code:
Recipe: Amarillo+Simcoe IPA
Brewer: shigadeyo
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal  
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
13 lbs 8.0 oz         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        96.4 %       
8.0 oz                Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM)   Grain         2        3.6 %        
0.50 oz               Magnum [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           3        20.8 IBUs    
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           4        6.7 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           5        10.7 IBUs    
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)        Fining        6        -            
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           7        4.9 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           8        7.8 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           9        2.7 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           10       4.3 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15. Hop           11       3.4 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15.0 Hop           12       5.3 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         13       -            
1.00 oz               Amarillo [8.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days     Hop           14       0.0 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Simcoe [13.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           15       0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: +Batch_152F (Medium Body)
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs
Name                  Description                            Step Temperature  Step Time     
Mash In               Add 17.98 qt of water at 163.3 F       152.0 F           60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.29gal) of 168.0 F water

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
Wondering how this turned out? I just put a recipe together almost identical before I stumbled cross this thread.

Wondering how this turned out? I just put a recipe together almost identical before I stumbled cross this thread.
Hey, thanks for asking and reminding me that I had this thread! I totally forgot about it...

Overall, this beer turned out pretty good, but there is room for improvement. It smelled amazing going into the the fermenter and at dry hop time. Below are my thoughts on the recipe:

MALT -- The maltiness is in the background and not sweet due to the very low level of crystal malt. That was the main experiment for this brew since most of my IPA recipes have been more "old school" and contained more crystal or other malts (e.g. Munich). Perhaps a bit more body/mouthfeel would be preferred, so I may try adding 8 oz of Munich. The resulting color of the malt bill was a very nice pale gold.

HOPS -- The bitterness level is right about what I wanted. However, the hoppy aroma and flavor faded quickly after the beer was kegged and carbonated. When I brew this again, I would definitely use more hops and change up the timing a bit. My initial thoughts are to keep the 60 minute bittering charge, but go to an ounce each at 5 minutes and an ounce each for 20 minute steep. I would also do an at least an ounce each for the dry hop. I just want more hop flavor coming through!

I would be interested your recipe and how it compares. Cheers!

Thanks for the info. This is what I have in mind:

My standard IPA grainbill
12lb Brewers Malt
1lb C10

.5oz Magnum (60min)
.5oz Amarillo/Simcoe (10min)
1oz Amarillo/Simcoe (5min)
1.5oz Amarillo/Simcoe (FO)
2oz Amarillo/Simcoe (DH 4 days)

Will probably be August before I work this one in but I will post results when finished.
Cheers

Thanks for the info. This is what I have in mind:

My standard IPA grainbill
12lb Brewers Malt
1lb C10

.5oz Magnum (60min)
.5oz Amarillo/Simcoe (10min)
1oz Amarillo/Simcoe (5min)
1.5oz Amarillo/Simcoe (FO)
2oz Amarillo/Simcoe (DH 4 days)

Will probably be August before I work this one in but I will post results when finished.
Cheers
Awesome. Looks like your hop additions are almost exactly what I was thinking the recipe needed to get the hop flavor where it needs to be! Please post back when you brew as I'd love to hear about the results. Take care.

I’ve been working my way through single hop IPAs to try and get a better understanding of flavor profiles. I have to say the all Amarillo ipa I just brewed is just ok. I swear I’m getting apple and peach flavor with little bitterness and the flavor is very weak. Maybe paired with Simcoe, Amarillo will shine.

I’ve been working my way through single hop IPAs to try and get a better understanding of flavor profiles. I have to say the all Amarillo ipa I just brewed is just ok. I swear I’m getting apple and peach flavor with little bitterness and the flavor is very weak. Maybe paired with Simcoe, Amarillo will shine.
I agree with your assessment. I really like Simcoe and it can stand on it's own; I plan to brew a SMaSH with Maris Otter and Simcoe soon. As the Amarillo-Simcoe IPA has aged and mellowed, more and more apple - not green apple, more like apple juice - has become apparent, especially in the aroma. The overall bitterness is also not quite what I want it to be. I have attributed this to the Amarillo as it seems like a very "soft" hop. Others will certainly disagree, but Amarillo seems best as a supporting hop to accentuate other flavors and provide some depth. If this Amarillo-Simcoe IPA gets brewed again, I am thinking more about skewing the hop blend closer to 2:1 (or 5:3) of Simoe:Amarillo.

Back