Amarillo ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaellindopp

Reaction score
Making an ipa with amarillo. 20 litres
2.5 kg pilsner (5.5lbs)
2.5kg maris otter (5.5 lbs)
0.5kg victory (1lb)
6g magnum 60 minutes(have in the freezer & need to use. Will just add bitterness.)
25g amarillo 60, 15, 5, 0 minutes each.
50g amarillo dry hop (1 0r 2 weeks, haven't decided)
Safale 05
Don't want it to be too bitter - low to mid 40's IBU.(Keep the wife happy).

Also, should I make a yeast starter?
All opinions are greatly appreciated

2.5 kg pilsner (5.5lbs)
0.5kg victory (1lb)
6g magnum 60 minutes(have in the freezer & need to use. Will just add bitterness.)
Safale 05

Safale05 is a dry yeast so no starter. Just rehydrate. I don't use Amarillo too often but the schedule sounds good. What is their alpha content?

Pilsner and Maris Otter, interesting...
One pound victory seems like a lot, considering half your grain bill is already Maris Otter. You really want the hop to shine, not so much the maltiness. In most of my IPAs I use mostly 2-row (although Pilsner could be good here I guess) with just a little crystal/victory/munich/vienna to give some color and a twist in flavor.

Also I'd drop the Amarillo 60min addition, it won't contribute to any flavor or aroma. One thing you could do, considering you want a low IBU IPA and if you don't mind using some more amarillo, is removing your 60min additions including the magnum and pushing more amarillo between 15 and 0, still going for 40 IBUs. It will have a killer hop profile!

Also, ditto FirstAidBrewing, no starter is required. Rehydrating is recommended (although I don't always do it and end up with very respectable brews).

I like to use 2-row but unfortunately herw in Beazil I can't get it so I got to make with what I have. Probably is an interesting combination of malts but if you don't try you don't know. Good idea in the 60 minute advice, I have a look at that.

I would like to use 2-row but unfortunately here in Brazil I can't get it - this is what the first line should say. Stupid buttons on the phone!

Yeah actually I think pilsner would be quite good in an IPA, it's a got that crispness that could match very well a hop forward profile. I wasn't saying interesting in a bad way honestly, I'd be very intrigued in using it in my next IPA.

I didn't take it in a bad way at all. All advice is useful. I understood the comment but at the same time I always see recipes using 2-row. It seems to be the more regular thing to use but as I said I gotta make do with what i have. I use the pilsner a lot. It lets the hops through a lot. I did a tweaked 90 minute the other week. Moved the hops due to not having the correct ones. Used safale 04. 100 + IBU. The smell is incredible & I really like the flavour. I suppose it a good things in some ways that I don't have the range of ingredients that you have in the United States as I can find recipes for inspiration and move it so I end up with something somewhat original.

I would like to use 2-row but unfortunately here in Brazil I can't get it - this is what the first line should say. Stupid buttons on the phone!

You don't.mention your mash temp or boil time but I'd definitely do a 90 minute boil w/ the Pilsner.
Mash at 152°F - 156°F depending on how dry you want it.

Double post!

I'd bitter with another hop if you have it, and move that ounce to flame out.

Looks good, mash low.

2.5 kg pilsner (5.5lbs)
0.5kg victory (1lb)
Safale 05

I went through the dry yeast starter thing recently, and the result of pursuing it was that dry yeast should be rehydrated in cool water.........not wort.... for maximum viability. The difference is about 50% drop if rehydrated in wort as opposed to water. A starter is OK, but the rehydration should take place first.

Many people simply pitch by sprinkling on the wort....... probably most people. People often recommend two packets, but if you rehydrate in cool water, making a "cream", the result is the same as double pitching by sprinkling....... It's amazing how much action -05 gives just sprinkled in water....... It obviously includes food and nutrients..... it is a very well engineered product.

Mix it in a small amount of cool water... say 60F, leave it sit until things begin to wake up.......... and they will..... Then pitch. One packet done this way is sufficient. The number of active cells in a packet of 05 is far more than any liquid yeast.

H.W.

Back