Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus, Summit, or Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one do you like best?

• Centennial

• Amarillo

• Cascade

• Summit

• Columbus

Results are only viewable after voting.
I picked Amarillo, but with the exception of Summit, I really enjoy them all. I personally wouldn't even put Summit in with the group. Summit can give a strong onion taste, and quite frankly is only thought of as a high alpha bittering hop to me. But, love me some Amarillo, followed closely by Simcoe.

I agree with Hammy. Summit isn't even comparable.

I am going with Columbus. I like the taste and smell of Centennial more but, Columbus is so versatile. You can put it anywhere in the process and it always performs great! I have Columbus in 80% of my hop forward beers.

I cheated and voted for everything but Summit...because the poll let me and because my favorite hop depends on the application. ;)

Summit is nasty. I made a single hop batch with it a couple years ago and eventually dumped it when it became clear it was not going to get better and I needed the keg for something worth drinking.

I'm really wanting to try Amarillo but haven't done so yet. I would have to cast a vote for Centennial. I haven't had Summit either.

Im relatively new (20 batches) and recently made an all amarillo dry hopped APA and WOW I like amarillo. The only other two hoppy beers I have made were dry hopped with cascade and centennial. Although both were good I like the centennial better. Not familiar enough with the other hops to comment.

I chose Amarillo, but CTZ is more versatile and I have used it as a FWH, Bittering Hop, Aroma Hop and Dry Hop. Amarillo has a nice fruitiness that Cascade and CTZ can't compare with. The two IPAs that I've used Summit in both had a strong onion aroma before going into the dry hop, but, thankfully, did not have onion flavor.

Back