am i waiting too long to pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keystoner

Reaction score
after flame out i chilled wort to 100 degrees f in an ice bath in sink, as recipe called for. i am using safale us-05 and the recipe says to wait until wort has reached 78 f or lower before pitching. i have my fermenter in a cool brewing fermentation chiller (https://www.cool-brewing.com/) surrounded by ice packs but its been well over an hour and the wort has yet to cool to 78 f. will this effect the batch?

Nope you are fine, I have waited several hours to let the wort come down in temp before pitching. Just make sure the container is sealed an you sanitized very well.

If there is an open hole in the lid where an airlock should be, it's not sealed. Get an airlock on it, cover it with sanitized foil, or put a sanitized solid lid on the bucket. I've let wort sit overnight to get down to fermentation temp, then pitched the yeast and it worked out fine. The longer you let it sit, the longer you risk contamination though. The alcohol the yeast produces helps protect it from infection, so the longer you wait to pitch, the greater the risk.

I just went 6 hours to get my pitch temp down to 66 from 80. I was not worried because I've had to do it many times.

Back