Aluminum Vs. Steel tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin476

Reaction score
So I aquired 2 nice aluminum 5Lb C02 tanks and have been just using C02 but would like to switch one to brewmix for my stouts. I usually pay $25 for a refill but now they want $32 for brewmix and they exchange my cylinder for a steel one. Should I care what kind is one more valuable? :confused:

A tank is a tank, who's going to see it? As long as it has a recent certification stamp, you're getting what you want out of the deal.

The aluminum tanks cost more to purchase. The primary reasons they are preferred is they are much lighter in weight, and if you use them in a moist environment the steel ones will rust, while the aluminum ones resist corrosion. I'd try to find somewhere else to get an aluminum for aluminum exchange, or find someone who fills them. Industrial gas businesses and often fire houses or fire fighting equipment suppliers will fill tanks.

I got nice pretty aluminum tanks then after a couple times dealing with filling I said screw it and exchanged. So much easier and really who sees them anyway? The upside was I got a handle on my second tank that way. :p Now I make sure to tell the guy to grab one with handles on it... much easier.

The aluminum tanks cost more to purchase. The primary reasons they are preferred is they are much lighter in weight, and if you use them in a moist environment the steel ones will rust, while the aluminum ones resist corrosion. I'd try to find somewhere else to get an aluminum for aluminum exchange, or find someone who fills them. Industrial gas businesses and often fire houses or fire fighting equipment suppliers will fill tanks.

Out of all the places up here I only found one that sells a brewmix of any sort. I guess its not a big deal... just making sure I wasnt getting totally screwed. I cant wait to have a homebrew on nitro!

My 10 pound aluminum weighs considerably less than my 5 pound steel one. Weight is definitely the main benefit. You may want to shop around for a place to fill... $25 seems like a lot to me, even for both tanks at once.

My 10 pound aluminum weighs considerably less than my 5 pound steel one. Weight is definitely the main benefit. You may want to shop around for a place to fill... $25 seems like a lot to me, even for both tanks at once.

I have called everyone up here, there are not many options in Alaska....
this brings me to another ordeal, do I NEED a stout faucet for this to be beneficial?

I have called everyone up here, there are not many options in Alaska....
this brings me to another ordeal, do I NEED a stout faucet for this to be beneficial?

You only need beer gas if you either have long lines or a stout faucet, as both cases require higher serving pressures. High pressure on short/normal length lines will be problematic.
Stouts use beer gas or pure nitrogen to push so that they don't overcarb the stout, and the stout faucet knocks what little carbonation is in there out of solution to cause that lovely cascade effect.

If you're using a regular faucet, traditional wisdom dictates plain old CO2.

+1 you'll definitely get the most benefit out of beer gas with a stout faucet. As Raenon says, there is a restrictor plate in the stout faucet that creates that groovy cascade head.

Latest posts

Back