Aluminum Pot Oxide Layer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
So I brewed yesterday using my new 30 quart aluminum pot and was wondering what effect the beer would have if a good oxide layer hadn't been developed? I put my pot in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes or so, but it didn't look any different coming out. When I was done brewing, I noticed the darker look to it inside where the wort was boiling. That darker part must be the oxide layer. Since this wasn't there after the oven, I assume it didn't build up an oxide layer? What's the worst that's going to happen to my brew?

I wouldn't worry about anything. My brewpot doesn't have a solid oxide layer that I can see and I've never had any issues related to it. RDWHAHB.

So I brewed yesterday using my new 30 quart aluminum pot and was wondering what effect the beer would have if a good oxide layer hadn't been developed? I put my pot in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes or so, but it didn't look any different coming out. When I was done brewing, I noticed the darker look to it inside where the wort was boiling. That darker part must be the oxide layer. Since this wasn't there after the oven, I assume it didn't build up an oxide layer? What's the worst that's going to happen to my brew?

Anyone who drinks the beer will instantly get Alzheimer's Disease... ;)

Actually I'm sure you're fine. I did the boiling method to build up the oxide layer and it did turn black. I think the worst that could happen is that you might have a slightly metallic taste to your beer but I think that's very unlikely. Of course there's people on here who are a lot smarter than me about brewing so I hope they comment if I'm wrong.

Back