Aluminum false bottom is it Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlyborn

Reaction score
So I'm considering making a false bottom for my mash tun and I have at my disposal a perforated aluminum sheet. The holes are 1/8 and spaced .375" from centers. I know the material is safe as long as it as an oxidation layer on it. So I'm already planning on boiling it in the keggle.
Is there anything else that I may be missing or will it be as easy as cutting it to shape, attaching stainless hinges, and boiling then ready?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461611695.073894.jpg

Safe? Will it kill you? No.

Best material for the job? No.

Stainless or bust is my opinion for brewing eq. A big downside of aluminum is you can't use cleaners like PBW on them.

I just had another thought... Aluminum may not be a good material for a false bottom unless it is thick enough. It is soft material and depending on how it is supported, may deform or buckle if you get a stuck-ish mash. Enough weight on top and vacuum underneath, and it could be lights out. Make sure your support is distributed.

Well all good points. I was iffy on the idea which is why I posted the question. It's .125" thick so should be sturdy enough. Either way I think I'll just wait and go stainless to do it right from the start. I just love a diy projects I couldn't help entertaining the idea of this one.

While I agree with aluminum not being ideal for a false bottom, at that thickness it should work. Is it safe? Of course it is many people, including myself, use aluminum pots with no problems at all once you establish the oxide layer. I have used one of my aluminum pots for years with no issues

Regardless, add some kind of support under the FB, especially if you're pumping your MLT.
If the pump can generate 5psi, that can translate to almost 600 pounds of force on a 12" FB if the sparge sticks.
And I've seen some awesome pics of buckled FBs on HBT...

Cheers!

Currently I'm looking at the Brew Hardware FB. I will be running a pump. Even though the material is safe(I started with an aluminum pot like many), a stainless Fb in the long run is the way to go.

Thanks for all your input, it has been helpful. Sometimes it's nice to talk through ideas with likeminded people before making a decision.

Back