aluminum cookers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using my 30qt Aluminum Turkey Fryer pot.
It discolored the very first time I used it. (grayed)

I learned that it is a protective coating (oxidation) and must not be scrubbed off.

After brewing, all I do is wash quickly with PBW, rinse and put it away for the next batch.

There will be plenty for you to read about using/not using aluminum. I'll be using mine until I upsize to a keggle.

'da Kid

I'm using my 30qt Aluminum Turkey Fryer pot.
It discolored the very first time I used it. (grayed)

I learned that it is a protective coating (oxidation) and must not be scrubbed off.

After brewing, all I do is wash quickly with PBW, rinse and put it away for the next batch.

There will be plenty for you to read about using/not using aluminum. I'll be using mine until I upscale to a keggle.

'da Kid

I use the same aluminum turkey fryer. Just rinse and gently wipe it after use, never scrub off the oxidized layer. Works great, love it.

I at first was wary about the whole "aluminum" thing, having used stainless for years. I do agree with evrose; aluminum is fine after it is seasoned, and, as long as abrasive cleaners are not used, there is little to no chance of having aluminum transfer into your brews.

I've been using aluminum for 8+ yrs now with great success. Everything is aluminum : mash tun, false bottom, HLT and boil kettle. As long as you don't scrub it too much it's awesome.

That being said, if I would have to do this again, I would go with stainless. Cost is also a factor in this, as SS vessels are really expensive here.

I'll stay with aluminum for as long as it lasts.. they'll probably outlive me.

Cheers !

Their was a sticky on aluminum, it said something to the affect, they are great, but you can't use all the cleaners that your can use on SS. If I could find the sticky it's a good read.
Aluminum is OK.

Aluminum oxidizes the instant it touches air, in reality every thing your touching that is "Aluminum" is coated in Aluminum oxide, that's just basic science.

Short of scratching the Aluminum with steel wool while your wort is in there your fine...conditioning it doesnt really do much but make this layer thicker...

So just try your best to keep your hands out of boiling wort to scrub the insides while its occupied... ;)

So just try your best to keep your hands out of boiling wort to scrub the insides while its occupied... ;)

Yeah.. don't. Brewing buddy spilled boiling wort on my left foot last sunday while trying to mix the hops in. It was the first time beer actually caused me pain. I hope this barleywine will be good, I had crazy pain for about 2 hours.... gotta love brewing.

:mug:

Don't think it take too long for somebody with half a brain to get their hand out of boiling wort. However the stupity of people surprise me daily.

I have seen plenty of stainless steel spoons used to stir and bang up the inside of the pot.....

I've got the same 30-quart aluminum pot with the propane burner, has worked out awesome. gets a little tight in there for 90 minute boils, but I've been able to keep boilovers to a minimum

best thing about that pot? 12⅛-inch diameter means 2 quarts per inch (do the math!). use a yardstick (also aluminum) to measure volumes.

I used a new 36 quart aluminum pot for my first beer brew the other day. I made sure to "season" the pot before hand, boiling water for about an hour. I didn't realize that it actually adds a protective layer to the pot. I did it to clean the pot from any possible materials from the manufacturing process. So I suppose it's a win-win to boil water before your first brew. I'm not too worried about any off flavors in my first brew, either.

also, when boiling for an hour while seasoning, measure starting and ending volumes, giving you your boil-off rate

Both stainless steel pressure cooker and aluminum cooker pot have their own merits. Stainless steel inner pot is more durable but aluminum pot ensures better heat conduction. Which one to choose is based on your own needs. I'm using a stainless steel pressure cooker with 10 programs for 2 years. Another reason I choose is that this stainless steel cooker is BPA-free without any chemicals.

Latest posts

Back