Aluminum Cam Locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few threads about these hanging around ... I'm probably going to go that way, too. Obviously they aren't as indestructible as SS (or as bling-y, if you care about that kind of thing), but at the price, if you unintentionally ruin one or two you're fine. At very least they'll let me get a system up and running, then if I want to upgrade in a year or so (when I get more cash) it'll be no problem.

I did a thread about this when I was about to buy mine. I didn't want a major bling/costly brew rig so I wanted to save a little bit of money by using aluminum. Final word from me:

They work fine. Do what Bobby M recommends and use silicon o-rings from oringsandmore.com to replace them. I did the experiment (boil the rubber o-ring in water and taste) and it's horrible! The finish on them will definitely wear over time; but they're just as functional as stainless. Hope this helps!:mug:

I ordered a bunch of these yesterday. I saved a bunch of money over the stainless ones.

AL oxidizes the moment it's exposed to air. Boiling just attracts minerals in the water.

They don't size them like that. They go by numbers that are related to measurements if I remember correctly. I think the number is 210 but I'd check Bobby M's youtube video "camlock review." He goes over them in their entirety and talks about the orings.:mug:

I got these too. I picked up 7 sets of aluminum with the foodgrade o-rings for the price of two sets of stainless. I boiled mine and they did get the grey oxidized coating.

Any reason to be worried about the longevity these when using chemicals like PBW for CIP?

I only ask because I just bought three kettles for my ghetto HERMS. I looked at buying aluminum to save some cash, but read that aluminum doesn't like those harsh chemicals. Unfounded worries?

I have never really worried about it. I've always used a bleach/hot water mixture when getting into really tough cleaning; and iodophor for sterilizing. I'm sure you could find things that would etch the metal; but I don't know if it would have as big an effect as everyone claims.

My new cam-locks arrived yesterday, love them. Now I'm just waiting on my silicon tubing to arrive....I'm psyched .

How are you connecting these to your valves, I did not see any threaded male cams?

Tim

correct.

now there isn't "ONE" way to use these. each setup is different, but I have those "Male" Cams on every thing I want to connect my hoses to. I have street 90's and "FEMALE" Cams on each end of the hose.

pick your poison, but the female cams are more expensive, so it made sense to use those for my 3 hoses instead of the other 10 connections.

-=Jason=-

Thanks, from the picture it did not look threaded, but after I zoomed in i see them.

So yeah, going to order theses today I think, and the correct o-rings to go with.

Looking at using 3 F on the BL, MLT, and HLT, and 4 C on the hose ends, with the street 90's did you also order the 90's from there.

Tim

Just BUMPing to ask,

I realize the only real issue with Alum is cleaning, what is everyones clean/san process that is safe with Alum?

BUMP, about to place order. Are the Alum. cams still holding strong.

I have used mine for only two brews so far. I cleaned with a light PBW solution through all the lines and fittings and everything seems to be holding up so far. I haven't found anything unnerving about them yet. I also replaced all the orings with the high temp silicone. All the male pieces are fixed positions and all the hoses ends are female to prevent any more dings than necessary. Good luck.

I have used mine for only two brews so far. I cleaned with a light PBW solution through all the lines and fittings and everything seems to be holding up so far. I haven't found anything unnerving about them yet. I also replaced all the orings with the high temp silicone. All the male pieces are fixed positions and all the hoses ends are female to prevent any more dings than necessary. Good luck.

Pretty much the same thing here ... used them twice now. Cleaned everything with soap and hot water. I also replaced the orings; I'm using an elbow+5/8 hose barb on either end of my hoses. So far they've worked great.

Pretty much the same thing here ... used them twice now. Cleaned everything with soap and hot water. I also replaced the orings; I'm using an elbow+5/8 hose barb on either end of my hoses. So far they've worked great.

I use a 90* street at the end of the hoses that need it. I didn't bother grinding it down and slapped a hose clamp on it, works fine so far, only time will tell I guess.

BUMP, about to place order. Are the Alum. cams still holding strong.

Order away. I've used mine for 7 brews so far and they're working just fine. I run hot PBW through everything for about 30 minutes after brewing, then clear water and no issues to report.

Quick question for anyone who purchased aluminum cam-locks from proflowdynamics - Do they have 316 cast into them? I'm thinking they sent me the wrong ones. :)

Aluminum cam locks do not have 316 cast into them. I believe that is a designation for stainless steel. As you'd expect, the aluminum ones are very light. However, if you paid for aluminum and they sent you SS ones, well then, I think I wouldn't say anything and keep the SS.

I agree with everyone else about the camlocks. I haven't had any issues with them.

316 is the stamp they use for 316 SS and is not on the aluminum camlocks. I think you lucked out and got all stainless for the price of aluminum!:rockin:

Yeah I'll chime in on the same boat. Got about 10 pairs of aluminum camlocks from ProFlowDynamics. I use males for the fixed points (valves, pump inlet/outlets, etc) and females for the caps and ends of the hoses. With the silicone o-rings, I get no leaks and I've used them on four batches so far with no trouble at all.

I found that I like pro flow dynamics o rings far better than the red ones typically recommended. They are basically the same size as the stock black o rings but in silicone. The difference is that I get a much tighter connection which means I don't get air sucked into my lines when running my rims.

I live right around the corner from Pro-Flow and the O rings they have excellant. My recommendation is to use Oetiker Clamps to connect the silicone tubing to the street elbows. 6 batches with all SS Proflow QD's and I love um.

Back