Aluminum brew pots and off flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought an aluminum pot to brew with, and was informed that aluminum causes an off flavor in beers? Can someone shed some light on that for me? Was also told that there is no aluminum in large breweries...?

:mug:

Myth.

Just don't scrub the inside of your aluminum pot with a scouring pad...you don't want it to be shiny inside! that brown layer of oxidation keeps anything from leaching into your beer/food. More people are worried about aluminum poisoning but if you leave the oxidation layer it will be just fine. Most breweries use Stainless because its' easier to clean, won't dent and lasts forever.

I just bought an aluminum pot to brew with, and was informed that aluminum causes an off flavor in beers? Can someone shed some light on that for me? Was also told that there is no aluminum in large breweries...?

:mug:

No issues. Use it without concern. I wouldn't recommend eating the pan itself, but other than that you should be okay. Oh, the pan is for external use only. Don't try to take the pan internally or serious complications can result.

If you use the pan for more than 6 hours, you should talk to your doctor about a potentially fatal complications.

Stop using the pan if you experience ringing in the ear, dizziness, fever, unexplained weight loss, spontaneous pregnancy, rectal leakage, increased libido or mood swings.

Don't use the pan if you cannot get at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Until you understand how the pan can affect you, don't drive or operate heavy machinery.

Get a copy of John Palmer's "How To Brew" and read the section on "Brewing Metallurgy". Mr. Palmer is a professional metallurgist and a highly regarding homebrewing author. He does a very good job of debunking this myth.

As a result of reading that section recently, I am about to build a new AG brew rig based upon 15 gallon aluminum pots. Which I can acquire easily and at reasonable costs here as opposed to importing already expensive stainless pots and waiting for them to arrive.

I use aluminum. No issues. Heard some guy at the LHBS telling a newb not to buy Aluminum pots too and had to bite my tongue. Remeber a lot of cooking gear is aluminum and no one really complains about it.

Foosier said:
I use aluminum. No issues. Heard some guy at the LHBS telling a newb not to buy Aluminum pots too and had to bite my tongue. Remeber a lot of cooking gear is aluminum and no one really complains about it.

He told the newb not to buy an aluminum pot because he only sells stainless.

For some reason the myths of aluminum have persisted. Remember aluminum wasn't produced commercially until the 1890's. Stainless showed up commercially around 1917. Competing metals? People have been preparing foods with both since then. I'm sure somebody then said your crazy not to use copper.

These metals all do the same thing when exposed to air. They form a clear oxide on the surface which protects the metal. Steel does the same, except that it's just not clear, it's orange!

Think about it this way. In the metals business people who work with aluminum (grinding, cutting, welding) only where negative pressure respirators with simple particulate filters. Why? Aluminum is the most abundant metal on earth and is almost entirely non toxic (think deodorant sticks)

Stainless metal workers... Full face air fed respirators. Disposable cover-alls and annual urinalysis to look for.... Hexavalent Chromium!!!

So I am always surprised as to why there is such a difference in perception.

Begs the question though... Why don't the brew pot manufacturers seem to promote aluminum?

Higher manufacturing cost? Better profit margin on shiny polished SS?

As a home brewer and likely tinkerer I think you'll find that your aluminum pot will be much easier to work with if you decide to upgrade it with gauges and fittings.

Aluminum is the most abundant metal on earth and is almost entirely non toxic (think deodorant sticks)

I know you're trying to imply that aluminum pots are safe, and I agree. However, this statement is very wrong. The aluminum we encounter in the earths crust, and in many other places are in the form of compounds, not elemental AL. It's like saying that Fluorine is safe because it's one of the most abundant elements, and it's in our tooth paste.

Begs the question though... Why don't the brew pot manufacturers seem to promote aluminum?

Higher manufacturing cost? Better profit margin on shiny polished SS?

We stopped carrying Al for a few reasons:

1) It dents incredibly easy. We used to carry this ((link)4mm thick kettle and if you bumped it against something it would cause a small dent. We weld these kettles in a shop so stuff gets moved around and we were getting too many kettles that dented. Can't ship a customer a 'new' dented kettle.

2) Although there's a lot of info about aluminum not causing Alzheimer's there is also many papers stating that is does have an affect. I'm not a doctor or chemist but if people a lot smarter than me think there may be a correlation than I'll air on the side of caution.

This quote, "The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present” ((link)from the Alzheimer's Society does say they can't draw any conclusions but the last statement leaves the door open which I don't like. I don't own any Al cookware anymore. Hell for the $50 it costs for new cookware why risk it??

3) Our equipment is inspired and based on professional eq. We weld our fittings like the professionals; no o-rings. We chose stainless steel because it's what the professionals use. It's tougher, easier to clean and will last a lifetime.

Margins are higher for aluminum and stainless steel is more expensive to work with so no conspiracy theory there.

If you're on a budget and want the cheapest pot than obviously aluminum is your best choice. If you want the material best suited for the job than IMO you buy stainless steel.

"This quote, "The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present”"

It's medical lingo for "we're 99.9% sure."

Use what you want. I think your point about dents makes great sense for shops and is a good honest answer.

Latest posts

Back