Alternative Carbing Methods and Flavor Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I could not decide if I should post this in the beer chemistry or yeast section or in the bottling/kegging section. I decided to go with bottling/kegging, since this is really about modifications to that process.

I have been thinking a lot about carbonating beer lately and different ways it can be done and the possible results of each of those methods. I have also been thinking about why we carbonate beer. This is a rambling of my thoughts on the topic preceded by a few questions about alternative carbing methods.

Questions:
  • Is it possible to yeast carb instead of sugar carb? If so, what is the difference in result? (Details of what I mean by Yeast Carbing and Sugar Carbing in my discussion below.)
  • What flavors do you get from carbonating your beer? Do different methods of carbonation result in different flavors?
  • Bottle carbing vs Forced carbing, which tastes better - which gives the most flavor?

Discussion:

Yeast Carbing vs Sugar Carbing:

Yeast Carbing and Sugar Carbing are both types of Bottle Carbing. I have never heard of Yeast Carbing and am making it up or the sake of this discussion, but I am thinking of trying it.

Bottle Carbing is typically done through a method I call "Sugar Carbing". A small amount of sugar (100-300g/5G) is added to your beer and the beer is promptly bottled. The live yeast remaining in the beer get happy, burp and fart, and in a few weeks to months you have carbonated beer. If the yeast was already dead, filtered out, or killed, some people will add a new (usually of the same type or a champagne type) yeast and some sugar in order to carbonate the beer. Either way, you are adding sugar to the beer in order to carbonate it.

Yeast carbing would be done as follows: Brew beer with Yeast A, at bottling time add Yeast B. Yeast B would have a higher rate of attenuation than Yeast A (e.g., it would eat more of the malt sugars than A). Yeast B would be added in an amount adequate to help it get to work and eat additional sugars in the already brewed beer. No new sugar would be added. Yeast B would then eat some of the existing sugars in the beer, do its burping and farting, and carbonate the beer. Yeast B would probably have to have a rate of attenuation somewhat close to that of Yeast A so you would not overcarb.

Carbonation Flavors:
Carbonation changes the flavor of beer (it also changes the mouth feel). Proof: A lot of beer tastes nasty once it loses its carbonation. But how does it change the flavor?

First, carbonation triggers the sour-sensing cells on the tongue, which helps counter some of the sweetness that can be present in the beer and overcomes other flavors that may exist. That is, carbonation gives the liquid an acidic bite and a little tingle on the tongue. See Tongue's Sour-sensing Cells Taste Carbonation.

Second, carbonation releases aerosols at the surface of the liquid. These aerosols splash up, fill the glass with gasses, and tickle your nose. That is, they give us that first impression through the front of our nose and taste is to a large degree based upon smell. In fact, our tongue is rather limited in what it can taste (bitter, salty, sour, sweet, savory/non-salty). As a result, most of our sense of taste comes through the sensations experienced by our nose. Thus, the aerosols in carbonated drinks enhance the flavor of the drink. Especially if those aerosols have other chemicals in them, that impart other flavors and smells (e.g., beer esters). See Champagne Flavor in the Bubbles; Unraveling different chemical fingerprints between a champagne wine and its aerosols.

Third, carbonation aerosols and other scents related with the liquid you are consuming (beer) are released retronasally, which is the human's richest ability to smell, and where most of the flavor in food comes from. See The Human Sense of Smell: Are We Better Than We Think?.

Combined, the carbonation of beer imparts a surprising amount of its potential flavors. Unfortunately, we often hide these flavors with strong, cloying hops. Yet, the esters and carbonation are where a lot of the unique flavors in Bavarian Hefeweizens and Belgium Witbiers come from. As a result, I ask - can we play with these flavors at bottling time?

Relationship Between Carbonation Method and Flavor:
The following is entirely speculative.

I hypothesize that the carbonation method affects the flavor of beer. Different carbonation methods will result in different aerosols and different amounts of aerosols, which will change the aromas of the beer that are released when the bubbles fizz up to the top. As a result, the carbonation method is as important as the hops you pick out in order to impart the most desirable flavors that you seek.

Mass produced beers (e.g., Budweiser, Pabst, Millers) are almost universally force carbonated. Force carbonation uses a neutral flavor CO2 gas or Nitrogen (mm, rich and silky .. is there any way to bottle carb Nitrogen?). Unfortunately, the neutral flavor gasses don't impart a lot of flavor on their own. Instead, you are dependent on picking up aerosols as they percolate through the beer and to your nose. In fact, if you carb and uncarb your beer enough times you can strip it of flavor compounds (good way to get rid of way too many banana esters). NOTE: I am not saying that force carbing is in any way inferior to bottle carbing. I am instead saying that it potentially picks up less aerosols that are released when you are smelling/drinking your beer, this can be a good thing in some beers. Albeit, I suspect this is why a lot of mass produced American Hefeweizens suck and a small part of why a lot of mass produced beers suck. Nevertheless, in the right situation force carbing can impart exactly the flavors you want. In fact, I wonder if it would be possible to perfume CO2 with edible aerosols so as to impart different and unique, but controlled, flavors to your beer.

In contrast, bottle carbing uses the natural yeast in the brew to create the CO2. As a result, the yeast releases additional aerosols with the CO2 and your carbonation has a higher potential for flavor as a direct result of yeast intervention (not using a neutrally flavored CO2). Bottle carbing is not dependent on picking up aerosols as the carbonation percolates to the top, instead it is already in it as a result of the yeast putting out aromas alongside the CO2. This potentially means there is a lot of room for playing around with the flavor of a beer based on how you bottle carb it.

For example, if you bottle carb with different types of sugars you get slightly different flavors in your beer. Part of this is due to the residual sweetness left by the sugar and part is by other residual flavors of the sugar (e.g., honey). On the other hand, some sugars result in the yeast behaving differently (e.g., malt, corn sugar, beet sugar, cane sugar) and give off different flavors (e.g., cidery, sweet). Thus, the sugar you use can greatly affect the end flavor of your beer by changing the aerosol compounds in the CO2.

On top of that, different yeasts give off different amounts of flavor compounds. Hefeweizen yeasts are famous for their estery (e.g., clove and banana) aerosols and flavoring. This seems to imply that you could get really interesting results by brewing your beer with one yeast - a yeast that imparts flavors that you want in the liquid - and carbonating with another yeast - a yeast that imparts flavors that you want in the aerosols. And, as long as you are changing yeasts you might be able to get away with different tricks. For example, instead of adding a sugar that was never present in your original beer, you could use a yeast that would eat more of the sugars already present in the beer and use those sugars to carbonate. That means you are not adding new, residual flavors from sugars, but instead changing the profile with the yeast used and changing the beer a bit. I suspect that using this method you could come up with some very interesting brews and flavors not typical to your brew.

Done!

Thus, has anyone tried or heard of yeast carbing (or whatever its proper name is)? What are the results? And, what do people think of my thoughts on this? Am I running up a path that goes nowhere, or is it possible there is something to this? :drunk:

Best,

- M

midgetdancing2.gif

Just kidding. Very interesting and would like to hear some experts chime in.

Mass produced beers (e.g., Budweiser, Pabst, Millers) are almost universally force carbonated.
Based on my info you are not correct.
Any info about the process?
Why would a large brewery force carb and pay money when natural carbonation (Yeast Carb) is free. Even reusing the cO2 from the fermenters is not free.

I have never heard of Yeast Carbing and am making it up or the sake of this discussion, but I am thinking of trying it.

As long yeast is involved in producing CO2 is it not yeast carbing?
I do both force & natural carbonation without using any additional sugars.

This seems to imply that you could get really interesting results by brewing your beer with one yeast - a yeast that imparts flavors that you want in the liquid - and carbonating with another yeast - a yeast that imparts flavors

Nothing new in my opinion.
Many bottle conditioned German Wheat beers use a lager yeast as the second yeast, without changing the flavor profile.
Not enough residual sugars left to make a difference.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Based on my info you are not correct.
Any info about the process?
Why would a large brewery force carb and pay money when natural carbonation (Yeast Carb) is free. Even reusing the cO2 from the fermenters is not free.

I have consistently read that mass produced beers like Millers/Budweiser/etc are force carbed. Why? Because they are producing a mass product in which they guarantee consistency. Additionally, force carbing on a mass scale is theoretically faster than letting things sit in the warehouse for two to six weeks to carbonate in the bottle/can. Furthermore, a lot of states still do not allow beers to be sold unpasteurized (e.g., with live yeast), which makes natural carbing unlikely.

As long yeast is involved in producing CO2 is it not yeast carbing?
I do both force & natural carbonation without using any additional sugars.

I knew someone would say this. Yes, it is still carbing with yeast. I was drawing a distinction between (a) adding sugar and letting the yeast carb, and (b) adding a different yeast and no additional sugar to carb. There are of course several variations that could be made to this, e.g., same yeast + no extra sugar, new yeast + extra sugar, new yeast + no extra sugar, same yeast + extra sugar.

Nothing new in my opinion.
Many bottle conditioned German Wheat beers use a lager yeast as the second yeast, without changing the flavor profile.
Not enough residual sugars left to make a difference.

I wasn't attempting to claim that this is something new, but rather something I haven't seen much discussion about. You are correct, some beers use a lager yeast as a secondary yeast. In fact, some brews use two or three different yeasts through different stages of fermentation, and a totally different yeast for carbonation in the end. My understanding as to why a lot of German beers use a lager yeast for carbonation is that it allows them to be stored at a cooler temperature (traditional was in caves, iirc) and still carbonate.

However, are you certain it does not change the flavor profile? I would think something like that could account for part of the difference in flavor between a German beer in Germany and the same beer made without lager yeast carbonation. It may not change the flavor profile a lot, but since things like color (red drinks are perceived as sweeter even if they are not truly sweeter) and smell (the primary component of flavor) are constantly modified for the same basic foodstuff by industry food chemists, it seems reasonable that a change in the yeast would change the aroma of the carbonation.

Of course, I could be wrong. :)

- M

PS: ClaudiusB, how are you carbonating your beer without force carbing or adding additional sugars? Are you bottling it early? Bottling it and letting it sit for significantly longer? Or what. Thanks!

I have consistently read that mass produced beers like Millers/Budweiser/etc are force carbed.
From Miller/Coors page.
During the aging process, the beer matures, develops its natural carbonation and its unique flavor.

As BobbyM mentioned the breweries use spunding devises (adjustable pressure relief valves) on there tanks to get the correct disolved CO2.

Additionally, force carbing on a mass scale is theoretically faster than letting things sit in the warehouse for two to six weeks to carbonate in the bottle/can.
Most beers carb during the aging/conditioning phase in pressure tanks or fermenters and not in bottles or cans.

Furthermore, a lot of states still do not allow beers to be sold unpasteurized (e.g., with live yeast), which makes natural carbing unlikely.
I would condition the beer first to get the required carbonation than pasteurize before shipping.

My understanding as to why a lot of German beers use a lager yeast for carbonation is that it allows them to be stored at a cooler temperature (traditional was in caves, iirc) and still carbonate.

Correct

However, are you certain it does not change the flavor profile?
The reason I think the flavor profile is not changed, not enough residual sugars (1°-1.5° P) and the low conditioning temps used.
Maybe someone with good taste buts can tell the difference.

PS: ClaudiusB, how are you carbonating your beer without force carbing or adding additional sugars? Are you bottling it early? Bottling it and letting it sit for significantly longer? Or what. Thanks!
I use the simple method, no spunding device, Speise or Kräusen.
I transfer the beer to the pressure tank (Cornie) when it is 1-1.5° P above the FG depending on the beer style and during the conditioning face (34°F) the required amount of dissolved CO2 is produced (5-6 g/L). Approximately 50% of the 1-1.5° P residual sugar is converted to CO2, not much fermetables left in my opinion to effect the final flavor.
Requires a fast fermentation test to establish the potential FG and no cold crashing.
If you use a spunding device the process is a lot easier.

Try your ideas and do some blind tasting to get some good data.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

From Miller/Coors page.
During the aging process, the beer matures, develops its natural carbonation and its unique flavor.

As BobbyM mentioned the breweries use spunding devises (adjustable pressure relief valves) on there tanks to get the correct disolved CO2.

Most beers carb during the aging/conditioning phase in pressure tanks or fermenters and not in bottles or cans.

My understanding was that most of the pressure tanks had additional CO2 pumped in, but I am completely open to being wrong. :)

I would condition the beer first to get the required carbonation than pasteurize before shipping.

That would require some massively expensive pasteurization equipment, you would have to maintain a high pressure during the process. Even with flash pasteurization you are heating the beer up, which will cause it to release a lot of the CO2 (again, could be wrong), unless you have a totally contained system - at which point you are building up a lot of pressure.

The reason I think the flavor profile is not changed, not enough residual sugars (1°-1.5° P) and the low conditioning temps used.
Maybe someone with good taste buts can tell the difference.

Taste buds wouldn't make much difference here. It is all about the aroma. In other mass produced products a subtle shift of the aroma often creates an entirely different product. For example, the only difference between vanilla coke, cherry coke, and plain coke is the addition of a vanilla or cherry aroma. Those are both flavors that you will not taste with your taste buds.

How much CO2 is added into the beer when it is put under pressure? To have carbonation fizz out you have to pressurize the liquid to build up the CO2 level. However, there is residual CO2 in the liquid from the fermentation process, but not enough to make it actively fizz. I don't suppose anyone knows the formula for CO2 in a liquid at room temperature versus under pressure (to make the estimates below more accurate)? That ratio would be rather telling as to whether or not a change in carbonation would affect the flavor. I would speculate that anything over at most 5% (probably as low as 2%) would make a perceptible change for the average pallet.

Rough estimates based on that question:
Beer CO2 pounds per square inch is between 1.5 (British Ale) and 5.1 (German Weizen). With the average being between 2.23 and 2.69 (I will use these averages for calculations below. 1.5psi would be 0-50% contributed, while a German Weizen would be a minimum of 72%).
From Tank Carbonation (great article on tank carbing).
Beer CO2 pounds per square inch prior to priming is between 0.7 and 1.4. From Priming with Sugar Technique. (Note: Some lagers have a noticeable, but small, amount of carbonation once done fermenting.)

So the ratio when calculated low and high (based on average 2.23-2.69psi) is: 1 - 1.4psi/2.23psi = 37.2% low; 0.7psi/2.69psi = 73.9% high.

That is a huge range, but I would say a 37%-74% difference in CO2 with aerosols would make a huge difference in flavor. Of course, percentage aerosols to CO2 makes some difference, but the aerosols bonding to the CO2 would theoretically correspond to the yeast/sugar combination used to generate that CO2.

I use the simple method, no spunding device, Speise or Kräusen.
I transfer the beer to the pressure tank (Cornie) when it is 1-1.5° P above the FG depending on the beer style and during the conditioning face (34°F) the required amount of dissolved CO2 is produced (5-6 g/L). Approximately 50% of the 1-1.5° P residual sugar is converted to CO2, not much fermetables left in my opinion to effect the final flavor.
Requires a fast fermentation test to establish the potential FG and no cold crashing.
If you use a spunding device the process is a lot easier.

Wow! I like the idea of that. I will have to try it sometime. :)

Try your ideas and do some blind tasting to get some good data.

Yup! I'm thinking of brewing a large batch and then splitting it at carbonation time to test the results of each variation to the carbonation method. I will have to take some off early and try that also. I would think a SMASH Hefeweizen would probably be a good way to test this - you have any suggestion for a good beer to brew to test this on?

Thanks for the input ClaudiusB! :mug:

- M

That would require some massively expensive pasteurization equipment, you would have to maintain a high pressure during the process.
Even with flash pasteurization you are heating the beer up, which will cause it to release a lot of the CO2 (again, could be wrong), unless you have a totally contained system - at which point you are building up a lot of pressure.
Depending on the system, as simple as hot water spray.
Tunnel pasteurization is employed after the bottles are filled and capped.
To prevent breakage temperature changes are made in stages or temp zones, while traveling down the conveyor.
No problem with internal pressure, bottles can handle the pressure.

How much CO2 is added into the beer when it is put under pressure?
That ratio would be rather telling as to whether or not a change in carbonation would affect the flavor. I would speculate that anything over at most 5% (probably as low as 2%) would make a perceptible change for the average pallet.
Change in carbonation will affect the flavor, too much and you get the acidic bite.
Standard 2.5 volumes of CO2 in beer is around .50 % by wgt. or 5 grams per liter of dissolved CO2 (0° C. -760mm.)
Data taken from Zahm & Nagel Co.

you have any suggestion for a good beer to brew to test this on?

I think a Pilsner is the best candidate, a very delicate beer.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back