Alternate NEIPA Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
Every NEIPA that I have either brewed, tasted, or heard about always focus of the fruitiest hops available. I am absolutely a fan of this new style of beer but was wondering if anyone has heard of or done themselves a NEIPA style substituting the fruit hops for the traditional C hops that are piney in taste i.e. Columbus, Chinook, Warrior, etc. Either this could be really good or absolutely awful so I thought I would post this thread before making the 5 gallon leap.

Throw some Cascade in the mix and I suspect you could come up with a very good neipa.
As I grow Chinook, Cascade and Centennial I've been thinking along similar lines.
I'd add some bought Columbus I keep on hand for a "4Cs" brew and see how it goes...

Cheers!

Every NEIPA that I have either brewed, tasted, or heard about always focus of the fruitiest hops available. I am absolutely a fan of this new style of beer but was wondering if anyone has heard of or done themselves a NEIPA style substituting the fruit hops for the traditional C hops that are piney in taste i.e. Columbus, Chinook, Warrior, etc. Either this could be really good or absolutely awful so I thought I would post this thread before making the 5 gallon leap.
Treehouse has SAP which is Chinook and Simcoe. It's interesting but really good!

Most Trillium NEIPAs use a lot of Columbus in the boil and whirlpool and then dry hop with a more tropical hop. I've used Columbus in smaller amounts in NEIPAs with good success.

I have heard that a Centennial dry hop lead to a beer that seems "too dry".

Last edited:
I had thought of trying to do a Pliny style IPA, but to NEIPA-ize it with different yeast and following my usual hopping schedule for that style.

The goal is to emphasize the hop flavors and get a smoother fuller flavor.

My favorite IPA's seem to be somewhere in between Northeast and West Coast style, like Heady Topper and Sticky Hands. I know Heady is thought of as the original NEIPA but its totally different from Treehouse/Trillium. Much more crisp and bitter, but with fully saturated hop flavor.

Heady & Sticky Hands both use Columbus, Apollo, Centennial & Amarillo. Heady & Pliny both use Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe & Amarillo. None of these beers use oats. I think there is definitely something to using Columbus, Apollo and Centennial to bridging the gap between the two styles.

Just finished brewing one with Centennial, Simcoe, and Citra. The Citra is obviously typical for the style, but I'll get some dank, pine, and floral characteristics from the other two to temper the fruit salad character of the style.

That's what's great about homebrewing. You don't have to conform to anybody's rules. If you want to alter a certain style to fit your tastes, then play around with it. Make it yours.

Brew on!

I just brewed an IIPA that had 1oz of each simcoe, chinook, apollo, and comet in the whirlpool and dry hop. I haven't tasted it yet but I'm going for a dank bong water NEIPA style. I'll be kegging it by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My absolute favorite IPA recipe i wrote is Basically a dank, reisney, double NEIPA with all CTZ and Chinook but finished with a little citra and galaxy. It is insanely good. I actually pitch belle saison after primary starts with 1318. Dries it out to under 1.010 and no saison flavor.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Fight Milk IIPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 8.02%
IBU (tinseth): 82.3
SRM (morey): 5.45

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (42.4%)
3 lb - Flaked Barley (18.2%)
3 lb - American - White Wheat (18.2%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (12.1%)
1.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (9.1%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - taurus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 30.08
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 15.37
1 oz - CTZ, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 18.33
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.45
1 oz - CTZ, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.08
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - CTZ, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop on day 3
2 oz - CTZ, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Dry Hop on day 3
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop on day 14
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop on day 14

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 149 F, Time: 90 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 74 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F

NOTES:
Add pack of Belle Saison 1 day after pitching. Let primary for 3 full weeks.

I have played around a little with some of the more traditional IPA hops like Centennial, Cascade, etc...... I will likely revisit them again, but I did not like the NEIPA's as much with them as I do with the Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy type hops.
I have had some success with simcoe/amarillo/centennial.... that was pretty good.

I find those C hops come across as "dry" or "sharp" compared to the more tropical hops and it just does not end up being a great NE IPA. Like I said though, I have only tried a few versions and will likely try them again in the future.

So this is the beer that I came up with. It's called The Chronic Express. It's not as cloudy as I was expecting but it's super Dank and citrusy
IMG_4270.jpg

With an alternative NEIPA style of beer like I’ve been talking about, would a “traditional” NEIPA water profile be used where there is increased calcium to keep the mouthfeel that neipas are known for or would that calcium increase diminish the hip bitterness of the C hops that would be used?

With an alternative NEIPA style of beer like I’ve been talking about, would a “traditional” NEIPA water profile be used where there is increased calcium to keep the mouthfeel that neipas are known for or would that calcium increase diminish the hip bitterness of the C hops that would be used?

I don't run increased calcium for mouthfeel, I do higher chloride.

Back