Altered Brewing Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
A few days ago I had a boil over that ended up burning my hand because I grabbed the handles when the wort went over the top of the kettle. So last night I tried to brew again, but this time at the hot break, I took the pot off the flame then added my hops. stirred them in real good, then put back on the flame. that worked out real well.
Question is....will this affect anything as far as the IBU's or even anything?

I doubt it. After your hop addition you bring it back to a boil for whatever time you did your boil so it's kind of a mute point.

When I hit hot break I normally turn my burner down and stir and bring the burner back up to the boil level I want. You basically did the same thing. You have to lower the temp or you wont be able to keep up with it and it will boil over.

Your good.

Some people even use a spray bottle with water in it to mist the top of the kettle so it won't boil over, I'm guessing they still lower the burner some anyway.

No, as long as you are boiling, taking off the heat for a very short amount of time, adding hops, and adding right back to heat, then start your timer, it's the same.

Back