Alt fermentation stalled.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoughtsonhops

Reaction score
So I brewed an Eight Mile Alt clone according to Can You Brew It. only difference is I used Wyeast 1010. My OG was 1050.

I made a starter, pitched the yeast around 68-70. I kept the carboy in the garage where the temp got down to high 50's or low 60's. It was still really active, VERY pils-y smelling. It started to slow, so I brought the carboy inside where it sat around 68. I'm thinking all the temp change within a week or less upset the yeast and they decided to "F it". I now realize I started with too little yeast for that cold of a fermentation. I'm now at 1030 and have been for a week and a half. I've racked it with hopes that the agitation would restart the yeast.

First off, does it sound like this is what happened?

And second, should i just get another smack pack to pitch?

I would try rousing the yeast, and letting the temp warm up a bit before pitching more yeast. What temp did you mash at? Did you use excessive amounts of crystal? Aerate properly?

I have roused the yeast, before I racked and after racking. The temp is now in the mid 70's and has been for about a week. I mashed @152 and used no crystal. I didn't aerate with an oxygen stone or anything, just shook it like I always do.
Grist was pilsen, Munich, wheat, caraMunich, carapils and carafa 2

You could always make a starter, and pitch it at high krausen so it's ready to do work

What about adding some yeast when I rack my IPA? It's WLP001 buy I'm not incredibly worried about this beer. My wife wanted to brew it.

Latest posts

Back