alright whos guilty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
when u first started out did u make the obligitory how can i get more abv from my beer post? i did.....

Only being a year into this I'm not far from starting out but I didn't have to make that post.

The guy who got me into this fattening hobby likes to brew high grav IPAs and you learn what you're taught.

I didn't ask...I just guessed.

For about three straight brews (stout, porter, stout) I just got in the habit of dumping in a pound of quick oats to kick her up a notch.

Fantastic beers by the way...

Nope...I got into brewing beer via another hobby that involves fermentation, so I had a good idea how bump it up. Not that I do. My beers are usually in the 6-8% range and I like to drink more than one. Strong enough for me.....

When I first started I was usually trying to keep my ABV up on most of my brews. Over time, I realized that ABV should be dictated by the type of brew - my 3% ABV scottish was good, as is my 10% barley wine. It all depends on the style.

If you've read any books on brewing then there is no need to ask this question.
Any one who asks it, won't or can't read or doesn't know that they should.

I thought I wanted to when I first got the notion of making my own. I then read this forum for about a week before deciding to dive into is and thanks to the abundance of EAC's I knew I didn't want to do that. :)

Now that I have brewed many, I have stopped taking FG readings most of the time. I take an OG to make sure everything went right and after that, I could care less, as long as it tastes great! In fact my IPA I don't even have an OG for. It will just taste great and the alcohol could matter less.

Back