Almost new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy1022

Reaction score
Hello all!
I posted to a thread a while back on the topic of mavi, a carribean drink made from the bark of the mauby tree. It actually looks like a dark beer but the taste is altogether different, it's sweet and refreshing.
Anyhow just to introduce myself as I never did, and also would like to mention that my daughter gave me a beer brewing kit for Xmas, which I finally made recently. It was good, but I think the cyphoning part was pretty hard. as the liquid would not come down the tube to the pot no matter how many times I tried. The kit I used was not a good one (sorry, daughter) but I was still able to make a decent gallon of beer.

Welcome to HBT Amy.

Sounds as if the fermentor may have been sealed, preventing you from getting the syphon started. If you got a good gallon of beer out of it, that's all that counts!

Welcome. If you describe your siphoning method and problem, I'm sure someone can help.
As a novice, I think that this kit proved work than I thought would be involved. I was interested in making the beer as the process interested me and I have a nephew who brews his own. But it was very tricky. I had a racking cane that came with the kit, which is a clear, hard plastic piece that was to be placed into the gallon jug the beer was in, and it was attached to the long rubber tube where the beer should flow through. I had to get some water at the start of the tube on one end, stop it up with my thumb, and then place the other end of the tube into the stainless steel pot so the beer could flow once I lifted the thumb off (the water in the tube was emptied out in a sink). The syphoning would just stop. I made sure the pot was below, to allow the beer to continue to flow downward but it wouldn't work. The funny thing is that the syphoning would work in a smaller glass filled with the beer--it would empty the glass entirely and quickly.
I had read about some syphoning products that have attachments which make the syphoning much easier and never fail. When I attempt to make it again--I will get one of those.

It sounds like the cane and tube weren't completely filled with water - they should be. If they're full and you don't have a leak at the tube/cane connection, the siphon shouldn't stop. This video - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6wnVFsGdv0[/ame] - might help.

It sounds like the cane and tube weren't completely filled with water - they should be. If they're full and you don't have a leak at the tube/cane connection, the siphon shouldn't stop. This video -

I have actually seen that video! Thanks again.

Welcome, I'm intrigued by your mavi drink. Sounds interesting.
It is a taste that some people need to acquire, because it's slightly bitter but more sweet than anything and has a slightly alcoholic taste. I think it's delicious and refreshing. Here's an article on how to make it, it and some pictures. I see you're from Canada, but if you're ever on the east coast of America (or the Caribbean, even better!) you may be able to get a taste of the drink. I don't use ginger in the recipe, by the way.

Mabi
A fermented tea.

1 Ounce Mavi bark
1 Ounce Ginger -- fresh
1 Cinnamon stick
1 1/2 Cups Water
12 Cups Water
2 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Brown sugar
2 c Mavi (previously made)

Place the first 4 ingredients in a very large pot and boil for aprox. 5 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and cool completely. Place the next 3 ingredients in a very large pot and mix well. Add the strained liquid and the 2 cups of mavi. Take a ladle and begin to mix the liquid well until it has foam on the top. Pour the mavi into quart size bottles only 3/4 full and cover with cloth.

NOTE - DO NOT COVER WITH TIGHT LID. Place the bottles in a warm place - the sun is fine - and allow to ferment for about 3 or 4 days. Then refrigerate and drink cold. The colder the better..!!

http://www.elboricua.com/recipes.html

mavi2.jpg

mavi.jpg

Back