Almost made me cry.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WenValley

Reaction score
Dumping out four (4) five gallon kegs of beer! That's right, twenty gallons of home brew down the drain. Two kegs of Oatmeal Stout, and two kegs of Centennial Pale Ale.

I've been brewing all grain for about five or six years, and have brewed several hundred gallons of beer. Our beer is very well received and gets high marks for flavor and quality.

My setup is all grain, ten gallon batches, and I was brewing to keg up some beer for winter. It's common to have two to four six gallon carboys of beer fermenting, or in primary at the same time. If you're brewing a lot of beer, and you have a flaw in your system, you can end up with a lot of beer that's defective in a short time.

I noticed a funky chemical taste in the stout. It was a taste that was very apparent. It was not noticeable at the front end of the taste, but jumped right out at the end of the taste. The flaw was mild at first, and increased with time.

Same issue with the Centennial Pale Ale, a very light beer that is great for finding flaws, as there's not much in the recipe to cover up mistakes.

So, I use BeerSmith and print out my brew steps for each batch. I write all of the pertinent info. on the printed sheets as I'm brewing, then I file the brew sheet for each batch.

I went back through my notes for each brew day and checked target temps vs. actual temps. I checked for any thing that could have caused this issue.

I double checked the grind settings on my Monster Mill 2. It was at .038.

I went over fermentation temps, yeast viability, was it pre-hydrated, did I use a starter or not.

I read dozens and dozens of posts on this forum that pertained to flaws, off flavors, etc. etc. etc.

Finally, I began to focus on sanitation. I "thought" my sanitation procedures was as robust as the day I started to brew all grain. But unfortunately I had taken several shortcuts over the last five years.

I had stopped using a five gallon bucket with Starsan to sanitize all of the brewing equipment before and during brew day. I was spraying Starsan from a spray bottle, but I wasn't waiting for the sanitizer to do it's job. I was using a wine thief to extract sample from the carboy without sanitizing the wine thief. I had been using scrubbie sponges that then sat next to the brew sink. These have all been tossed. I think this was a major error.

There were other shortcuts that I have now eliminated. I went through all of my gear from buckets, to hoses, to fittings, to kegs, to connectors, etc. etc. etc. and have cleaned AND sanitized in separate steps.

I recently made a five gallon batch of Centennial Ale, and I'm happy to report that the quality is back where it used to be, and this beer is very drinkable.

I've since brewed ten gallons of Red Dog IPA, and ten gallons of Oatmeal Stout.

While it hurt financially to dump out twenty gallons of beer, the biggest loss was the hours and hours of time to brew the beer, let it ferment, and then keg the beer, only to have a product that was a dumper.

So, I had to relearn what I already knew, and I wanted to share with the forum what I discovered.

When it comes to sanitation and brewing, there can be no shortcuts.

If you detect a funky "off" flavor in your beer, start thinking about sanitation and give your procedures a honest review.

First of all thanks for sharing. I am in my first year of all grain and can see how you start to look for short cuts.

Stories like yours keep me in check.

I think "I was using a wine thief to extract sample from the carboy without sanitizing the wine thief. I had been using scrubbie sponges that then sat next to the brew sink. These have all been tossed. I think this was a major error." is exactly where it began. Most likely the thief. I could be wrong but it made me cringe at the times I have done similar things.

Thanks again for reminding us of the dangers of cutting corners.

JBG

Sorry, that had to hurt and thank you for sharing. Wine and beer are food... Food handling requires sanitation. Having this as a perspective can be helpful. Cooks can get away with "skimping" on cleanliness for foods that will be thoughly heated, but the things that often get people sick are uncooked foods with cross contamination. Once wort is chilled, it might as well be salad, and everything that touches it needs to be sanitized.

I feel that.
Because I'm not far behind. Except that I'm not sure I've solved the problem. I brew by season, fermenting cool in winter, warm in summer, 70 in spring and fall, all in the basement. I have two cases each of Centennial Blonde and Bee Cave Haus Pale that probably fermented to warm with Notty, as well as a 5gal keg of ESB. And 5 more gallons of APA that might have fermented too warm with US05. So that's a twenty gallon dump on deck. The CB and BCHP are hopeless, they are not conditioning out. The ESB has improved some, it might live. The APAs I don't know. While not sanitation, it might be a little laziness on my part: not being careful enough about fermenting temps. I'd gotten away with some fooling around at the edges in the past. Now I think I'm paying the piper. The worst part is not having any good homebrew on hand. Buying craft beer hurts.
Thanks for sharing. You may have saved someone else needless heartbreak.

I too had a few off batches that I blamed on my wine thief. I have been pretty good about sanitizing it, but wasn't dunking it in anything.

Since then, I've been storing my thief in a plastic cylinder (the thing most people measure the gravity sample in). The cylinder has a bleach solution in it, so I can just take it out, rinse it a few times, grab my sample, take a reading, rinse it out again, and back in the bleach it goes.

Sorry for your loss, but on the bright side you get to brew more :mug:

I too had a few off batches that I blamed on my wine thief. I have been pretty good about sanitizing it, but wasn't dunking it in anything.

Since then, I've been storing my thief in a plastic cylinder (the thing most people measure the gravity sample in). The cylinder has a bleach solution in it, so I can just take it out, rinse it a few times, grab my sample, take a reading, rinse it out again, and back in the bleach it goes.

Sorry for your loss, but on the bright side you get to brew more :mug:

Water/bleach solution loses much of its potency after about a day. Be careful of your process in that regard. You simply may have been getting lucky...

What a bummer. I feel your pain. Will toast your efforts on my next few beers.
I feel it's almost a numbers game. Brew enough and no matter what, shyte will catch up with you. I've been lucky and am due a bad news day.
All the best for the next few batches.

Thanks to all for your kind remarks.

I was a little hesitant to post my findings, but I've gotten so much from this forum over the years that I felt I needed to use my misfortune so that others might "do better".

I'm not lazy, but it seems like I'm always squeezing the clock.

The "shortcuts" actually resulted in a TON of lost time.

I would suggest doing a sanitation audit every now and then to make sure you keep the cooties out of your brew. :)

Bummer!! Every 5 Brews I use Idophor instead of Star San. I also have a steam cleaner that I use with my Conicals. I buy new Airlocks each Brew and new gaskets for the TC Fittings (Buna Cost $.25 each). A Couple of $, but... :mug:

"Complacency" is probably a better term than "laziness" for my errors too.
As for time, you might consider a shorter mash and boil. Brulosopher has done experiments with a shorter boil. There's a good long thread on here about short mashes too.

Water/bleach solution loses much of its potency after about a day. Be careful of your process in that regard. You simply may have been getting lucky...

Learned something new today. I'll usually hit it with star san too just to be safe but it looks like I'll be getting rid of the bleach.

Thanks for the info. :mug:

Back