Alltech's Lexington Brewing - No more beer sampling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingshot

Reaction score
We just visited the Alltech's Lexington Brewing company in Lexington Kentucky. Found out that we were the last tour that they were allowed to offer beer samples to. Apparently they have grown too large and the laws in Kentucky will no longer allow them to offer samples of their beer. With their plans to expand distribution of their Kentucky Bourbon Barrel line of beer they are getting the short end of the stick with the laws in Kentucky because if you are a bourbon distillery, they can offer samples any day of the week, but apparently not so with beer.

Would strongly recommend anyone in the Kentucky area who hasn't tried this line of beer to give it a try. When on the tour, we asked about their expansion plans and one issue is they can't get enough of the Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels to increase their production. So they are currently working on alternatives that will allow them to continue to expand production so they can generate enough beer to support a national distribution. They are currently in China and Ireland too. Will be looking forward to having closer access to this fabulous beer.

Oh and yes we did stock up on their beers before we headed back to Minnesota. :mug::mug:

That's a shame. I buy their stuff pretty regularly but have yet to make it to the brewery.

I don't know too much of the legal code, but from what little I've heard, KY laws seem to be pretty unfair towards the craft beer industry. Trying to discourage competition with the bourbon industry, I guess. Combine that with the number of dry counties we still have and it's no wonder the craft beer scene in the state is rather lacking (basically Alltech in Lexington, or BBC in Louisville, although there are some smaller ventures starting to pop up). If it weren't for the recent brewing renaissance in nearby Cincinnati, I'd probably have to move. ;)

Back