All you can do is laugh....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 minutes into my mash and I pop inside to make a bloody mary, glace at the table and there sit my water adjustment salts. And yes this is happening as I type.

40 minutes into my mash and I pop inside to make a bloody mary, glace at the table and there sit my water adjustment salts. And yes this is happening as I type.
Been there, done that. Added it and prayed. Everything seemed fine in the end!

So went to swap my blow off tube last night for pressure manifold. I do that when the fermentation slows down, there is a PRV on the manifold and a gas post, I put a spunding valve on the gas post and let fermentation wrap up at about 10 psi. Something looked wrong after I took off the blow off (TC elbow to a silicone hose). There was still a TC clamp on the port....DOH I didn't remove the CIP ball when I set up the conical. Sigh. Freeking lucky that tiny slit in the CIP ball didn't plug and destroy the conical and possibly the freezer it sits in...

Funny thing is I noticed there was issue at end of my brew day but misunderstood what it was. My process is to keg, clean, reassemble and then fill all during the brew day. I did a shorter brew than normal, no whirlpool mainly, so was in a bit of a hurry at the end but had the fermentor cleaned, sanitized and in place with time to spare. Filled my fermentor, single pass through CFC, into the bottom dump port, no issues. Only issue I noticed was that even though my volume looked a bit low, the fermentor filled, overfilled, sooner than expected and wort was starting to come out my blow off tube while I still had a gallon or so in the kettle. Hmmm oh well stop it there and proceed. When I went to pitch my yeast took a look inside and saw I only got 16.5 gallons in...nowhere near overflowing which would be around 19 gallons. Recorded my notes in Beersmith and saw this resulted in a pretty significant efficiency hit. But the batch had a whole lot of wheat in it (50% when most I tend to use is 10%) so I wrote in my Beersmith log "efficiency hit due to wort lost filling the fermentor. must have been foamy going in because started overflowing the blow off even though only 16.5 gallons in. had at least 1 more gallon of wort that could have gotten in."

HAHAHA nope...I filled to the level of the CIP ball then pushed beer up the CIP ball and out the blowoff tube...

Back