All "Northern Brewer" ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hey,

Got given 3.5oz of Northern Brewer pellets. I've never used this hop before. I'm about due to brew an ESB - I normally use EKG/Fuggles for my ESB, but wondering how (just) NB would work?

Or would I be better off brewing a stout with the NB?

Cheers!

NB is generally perceived as having a minty, woody flavor. I brewed with it only once in a Vienna SMaSH, and it complemented the resulting malty profile well. I think bitters are a perfect vehicle for experimenting with "old world" hop varieties, though, so what the heck - go for it.

I made beer that was 50% pils 50% munich(dark) with bittering 15 and 5 min NB additions of .75 oz each and it was great. I recommend that.

The origin of northern brewer was in the UK, so it seems like it must of been used in a ESB at some point.

I use NB as the only hops in a belgian blonde and an american blonde. The last couple time I used them it seemed like I did not get as much of the herbal NB aroma. I'm not sure if I used US or German NB in the past but the last ones without much aroma were german. Anyone know if the german version is known to be less aromatic?

Back